View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 PM

Default Thank you - took the plunge and doing well

Thank you for your efforts to reply. I too have typed out responses, only to lose them to a timed out system.

At this point, I did what I felt was the right thing for me and my family... We have good insurance now, and I had already cut out all major risk, ceasing full contact, and sticking to skating solo. Due to the severity of the compression on the central cord, I elected to go the route of the Mobi C, and after searching these boards for advice on who's who in the U.S., decided Dr Patel in Denver CO was worth booking. Flight and having a consult.

He was as wonderful as others have said he was on this board, and quickly made me feel good (or at least as good as I could feel) about doing an ADR.

He was booked 90 days out, so I set the OR appt, and took the time to reflect and make sure that was what I really needed to do. In the end, my arm and leg weakness was minimal, but definitely present. Additionally I have (had) severe eczema on both hands that no dr. Could be certainty at my c3-4 herniation wasn't a contributing factor. That problem alone was worth trying to solve in my years of dealing with pain and suffering of cracked bleeding skin and knuckles that I couldn't bend some days. Additionally, I have had over active bladder issues, that were often chalked up to pregnancies, but again, were worth attempting to solve.

So I had a Mobi C placed at the c 3-4 level a little over a week ado now. You can follow my post O0 story on the surgical outcome forum, but so far so great! My pain is minimal and well managed by pain meds. The surgery went Perot, according to Dr Patel, and in the 9 days post op, I have yet to have a single issue with my bladder. Worth the price of admission, if the trend continues. My hands are looking good, and I don't seem to be having any complications or deferred /extra pain, so as of now, I am thrilled to have chosen to have Dr Patel place the Mobi C.

I will continue to do follow ups in the surgical outcome forum. Again thank you to those that took the time to write to me, even if your responses did get swallowed up the the Internet.

11/2015 - Cerv MRI w/out contrast. Loss of space signal & budging discs c2-7
Facet joints unremarkable
c3-4 central herniation mild/moderate compression indents cord w/ myelopathic changes
Spondylosis on left side
12/15 - 2 spinal cortisone inj
6/16 - mobi C c3/4 Dr Patel