Thread: Hi Everyone
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Hey Tim,

It seems like you're in a similar situation as I was. I'm 29 now. I was 27 when I hurt my back bad after weight lifting. My back was already not so good, but the leg-press finished the job last October. I went to three doctors, all who said they didn't really see the problem and that having surgery was quite a big stretch, even though I was in excruciating pain and debilitation.

It got to the point where I couldn't walk, work or do anything really except lay in bed.

I consulted with many more doctors who specialized in ADR surgery, all who said I was a clear candidate for the procedure and that it would correct all my issues.

I am in the healthcare industry myself and I can tell you with absolute certainty that healthcare professionals often omit or overlook very clear causalities of pain. I dont know the first thing about healthcare in Ireland, but that is how it is here in the US. When I looked at the imaging myself and even the MRI report, both very clearly showed my issues.

There's also the factor that imaging is done mostly while laying down. Sitting puts some of the most intense pressure on the lumbar discs, hence your pain in that position. Since they don't do imaging in that position, doctors must extrapolate from the smaller indications on the imaging, which is rarely done for reasons beyond me. In my personal experience I find it is at the crossroads of incompetence, fear of misdiagnosis and fear of being sued if they're wrong. That may be different in Europe.

By the way, that exercise is terrible for someone in your position. I'm sorry that you had to go through that.

Do you have any imaging you could share with us or the MRI results page? With all personal information omitted of course.

I had a slippage of my vertebrae, grade 1 retrolisthesis, at L5-S1. All the doctors I met with were all quacks that didn't work with ADR. They all thought it wasn't a big deal, but if i wanted to do something about it, I would of course have to fuse it.

Well, 2 weeks after surgery now, I'm walking like I never have before. All of my issues are corrected and I'm only experiencing nerve distraction discomfort from the corrected disc height and postural change.
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American