View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Default 'Just Dealing' with the pain

Hi all,

First, I would like to thank everyone on the board. I've been lurking for the past couple of months and have learned a lot from the forums. I decided to join and become active in hopes that I can give back to the community and help others with similar situations to mine.

A little about me, I'm 27 and have been dealing with lower back pain since I was 18. I initially started feeling symptoms from weightlifting/football in high school. In 2004 I was involved in a pretty sever motorcycle wreck which caused my pain to worsen. I was able to deal with the day to day pain for years until October of '09. I somehow inflamed it and was pretty much bedridden for a month crawling around the house with shooting pains down my leg. Now, I finally had to face my problem and do something about it.

In November I went to my family doc who prescribed painkillers/anti-inflams/steroids to get me back on my feet again. After the X-ray/MRI I started my rounds of injections and PT. The injections have stopped the shooting pains but I still have chronic lower back pain. After two rounds, the doctor decided to do a discogram to find the culprit. After the discogram (OUCH) it was confirmed I have a grade 5 annular fissure in L5-S1. He suggested that it's time to move on from conservative treatment and into my surgery options.

Tomorrow I have a surgery consult with a neurosurgeon and hopefully move forward soon into a permanent fix.

Again, thanks everyone for the information and I look forward to being part of the community!