View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 AM

Thank you for the advice regarding my radiology reports. As I went back through them I realized I have more going on that just my L4/L5 herniation (which I knew) but that is the main source of my pain & problems. I have DDD from T12-S1 and various problems at each level, but no one had really talked to me about that as the L4/L5 was the focus.

My insurance will cover a single level replacement and of course fusion..... now I need to talk to some doctors and sort out my choices. I understand this is a huge undertaking that takes many many hours of research and a commitment to improving my health. It is a long road and being in a place with no medical support is a lonely and frightening feeling. Most average healthy people have no idea what this is like and couldn’t begin to imagine the pain involved on a day to day basis. I feel lucky the injection has given me some relief this time around. It allows me to do the needed research and hopefully make an educated decision. At the moment my pain is mild, but I know what is coming and do not want to live on injections for the rest of my life.

The choosing a doctor part makes me a little nervous, anyone I see will involve travel, which also means recovering away from home with two elementary school aged children. Is it best to contact multiple doctors? I feel silly asking questions like this which is why it took me 4 months to actually introduce myself after discovering this awesome site.

Thanks again for your support and advice.
~Sb

7/2010 pain came back, had steroid injection
2/2011 pain came back
MRI showed L4/L5 herniation larger than the first
fusion suggested, looking at options