View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM

To be fair, I think any of the surgeons would do a phone consultation if asked, but the initial treatment plans and my questions answered via email by some of them lead me to believe a phone consultation wasn't necessary.... I wasn't buying what they were selling to even discuss it further.

The phone consultation that I did have with Mr Boeree was 45 minutes long (vs. a 15 minute live consult with my local surgeon - who never laid a hand on me. Would have been the same to talk to him on the phone too). I think that was the most productive conversation I've ever had with a doctor, and he was 4000 miles away! I even had a family friend, who is a family practice doctor, sit in on the consultation call and write down questions for me to ask.

Anyway, that is my experience with the subject. My "local" is pretty small town, so now that I know more, I would be scared to death to let him install an ADR. I doubt he's done very many.

The well-known surgeons definitely have their preferences, which is normal for any medical treatment, but with insurance problems, FDA restrictions, experience factors... it does make for some muddy decision making!

My advice is get as much info as you can and ask at least 5 surgeons for opinions. The overseas opinions are relatively no cost, and these surgeons are much more experienced than most US surgeons. If nothing else, you've learned something to apply to your local discussions.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/