View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Default New Girl...waiting in insurance approval

Hey Everyone,
I wanted to introduce myself. I found this website over a month ago. Since then, I have filled my head (almost to capacity) with information about ADR. I have jumped through ALL the hoops to get to this point. Now all I can do is wait. My original request for ADR was denied which we expected.

My history is the same as a lot of the folks on this forum. I am a 44 year old female. I have always been extremely healthy....you might even say medically boring. For several years I have had LBP. Two years ago I started seeking specific help. To be honest, I was worried about the long term effects of all the ibuprofen I was taking. Long story short, I have DDD at L4-L5. Last week I got to see the CT scan that was taken after my discogram. During the two minutes it took to wheel me from the procedure room to the CT scan, all the florescent fluid had leached out of my disc. I have three opinions now, all from very reputable doctors that I am a good candidate for ADR. I cannot wait as I feel like I am languishing here at home. I have three sons (ages 11,9 & 7) and a husband who travels A LOT. I take narcotics and muscle relaxers EVERY Day, and am terrified of dependency. I know I am not as bad as some of the people I have read about here, as I am functioning. Not really sure I have a choice and maybe that is a good thing.

I will close now but I do have a couple of questions for the veterans. First, I do not have leg pain....only low back and radiating pain in both hips and glutes. A few times (while sitting) I have felt little phantom feelings down my leg but not necessarily pain. I do have significant leg WEAKNESS. I know it is not atrophy because I still manage to walk every morning or do the elliptical machine for 30 minutes. I continue to do this little bit of exercise because without it I have NO energy and a very difficult time sleeping. Has anyone else had this leg weakness? I am really aware when descending stairs or rising from a crouched position.

Secondly, (putting this in it's own paragraph in case I lost some of you, ha ha)... Has anyone had success getting United Health to cover ADR? I have been pouring over the Insurance Hell file and see lots of references to UHC and denials. However, all those are old, dating back to early 2007. I am keeping my fingers crossed that maybe they have turned over a new leaf. Several people I know have told me to just stay on them....the tenacious ones eventually win. I hope this is true. My OS might possibly get me in a clinical trial at Vanderbilt on kinetics. I will keep you posted. Good luck to you all.
Candee
LBP for 2 to 3 years-much worse since April '09
44 visits to chiro in 6 months
PT & ESI (failed)
Discography/CT -positive at L4-L5, annular tear & bulge
three denials from UnitedHealthcare for ADR
Surgery 2/18/10-Freedom Lumbar disc L4/L5