View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymergist View Post

Just curious, how thick is your neck? I was thinking about the neck structure and the geometry of traction, and after talking with my PT I think I am going to try and prototype a pneumatic prone device that will hold the shoulders, provide an adjustable arc under the neck, and pull the neck over the arc so the traction is in the proper curvature rather than pulling the curve straight. I think part of my problem is I done realy get a stretch till over 30lbs of force, and that pulls me out of the stock head restraint at the office. Any thoughts are welcome!
Hmm, my neck isn't really thick and I am by no means a big burly muscular type person. Pretty much a middle aged female who's spine has just decided it's worked long enough and has begun degenerating instead. Lots of factors are contributing to that though and I am by no means a good example to follow...lol

For me traction was never going to solve my pain. I had too many osteophytes poking into the spinal column and too many nerve roots directly compressed due to herniated disks and general bone disease.

But I understand your desire to try different traction devices.. so often I felt if I could get someone pulling my head and someone else at my feet.. that the pain would subside a bit, if they just pulled hard enough.. my husband and I used to joke that I needed a "rack" .. and that would solve all my problems...

Like I said.. finding the cause or generator of your pain is very important. Spine disease is actually quite complex... is it more disk disease or bone disease... ? Getting to the bottom of that question will help guide the eventual treatment of your problem and the solution to your pain.

Everything from ADR/Fusions , micro diskectomies, lazer surgery and even fibrin injections are possibilities. It all depends on your individual disease process.

It sounds like your really trying to research it all and I wish you well in that process. Understanding the cause of "your" disease is vital to the outcome.
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.