View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Default New-33yr-old F, surgery planned 10.14.10Freedom Disc L5-S1

Hi There~
My husband found this site for me and I am so grateful. My history is that I had an back injury when I was 19(lifted a ball and burlap tree that I didn't know had been watered very quickly) and I was paralized for about a day. Off and on for 13 years, I have had pain until last August I lifhted a heavy bag a canned goods and that night I was sent to the ER with pain worse than childbirth. So, I have been through MRI, CT Scan, X Ray, and the last was the Discogram. It was determined that they are 85% sure that the pain generator is L4-L5 and L5-S1, with the later being the worse, I have 75% of my disc degenerated. I have pain on both sides of my spine, hips nerve pain down legs and in buttocks.

For the pain- Physical Therapy, 5 epideral shots, lots of narcotic pain medicine. The epideral and PT never helped, in fact, PT made the situation so much worse. The meds. are about the only thing that keeps it under control although I will say, if I don't get 'in front' of the pain, it never goes away. I feel pain all day. THis has caused depression b/c I have a 3 year old and I cannot play with her the way my husband can and I would like to have another child, but with all the med I have to be on, there is no way.ALl this being said, I have been approved for the Freedom Disc Trail in Charlotte, NC with Dr. Coric on Oct. 14, 2010. Again, it is a 50/50 chance of getting the Prodisc or the new Freedom. They are doing the one level at L5-S1.

My question: if there is anyone out there with similar circumstances, can you tell me what to expect Post-Op and is there anything I should take to the hospital that I wouldn't think of? This might sound silly, but, what kind of clothes should I bring to go home in?