View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Joell,

Condolences on your condition. I hope that you are able to avoid fusion. I have two fusions and two ADRs, and lament even the thought of having to have had two more fusions (like my insurance company wanted me to do).

I went to Spain for two M6-C's almost exactly a year ago. I have had a better outcome than I could have ever asked for, it was an incredible experience in multiple senses, and I'd do it again given the same circumstances. Like you, my choices for treatment were 1)have my insurance company pay for fusion, 2)pay out of pocket for ADR in the US, 3)pay less than half out of pocket in Europe, or 4)pay even less than that in Costa Rica, India, Thailand, Mexico, etc...

As you are making your decisions, please be aware that there are a few substantial risks unique to overseas surgery.

• If there is a complication, you are expected to pay the additional cost of treatment right then.
  • If the complications are due to negligence from the provider, you will likely have no recourse.
  • Many US doctors decline to treat patients that need revision of a failed foreign spine surgery.
Like the majority of others that have gone overseas for ADR, I was fortunate in that there were no issues.

Another consideration... I have seen people that were contraindicated for ADR for various reasons, that chose to go to Europe for ADR anyway because some of the German surgeons will operate on anyone. A very high percentage of them had very bad outcomes. So if you have been contraindicated for ADR by a spine surgeon, I would encourage you to do a lot of research and be very sure before going against that contraindication.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011