View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Spend some time (a few weeks at the very least) doing some serious reading on this and other sites specifically on these doctors, facility reputation, procedures and their risks/complications/contraindications/ alternatives, etc. There is so much to learn, and I didn't have this knowledge talking to my US doctor. It is essential if choosing a physician oversees. There are positives and negative stories associated with many of them. You will learn a lot by reading people's stories and the details of their experience. I am in a similar boat, but am a few weeks ahead having learned much in the last few weeks about choosing procedure options and the physicians who perform them by asking intelligent questions that pertain to my medical reports. Don't go too quickly, without a lot of reading, as there isn't anyone truly looking out for you but you! Understand your medical reports and get them ready to send oversees on CDs. Make copies for yourself. Start a file. Start a list of questions related to your condition.

I just sent my medical reports this week to Dr Bertagnoli - Germany (my local ortho surgeon brought up his name with high recommendations - although I hear he's expensive in comparison to others), Dr Clavel - Barcelona (have read positive things about him on this website), Dr. Boeree - UK (positive comments and the chance to speak to him personally by phone to review your reports, which is as close to a face to face as you can get. Plan to talk to him first to know what to question the others on via email), and Dr Pimenta - Brazil (good comments here and seems to favor less invasive procedures and more alternatives rather than just ADR). I chose these doctors specifically from stories that seemed positive and similar to my problems. I don't know if I'll have enough info (or money!)to make a commitment to any of them, but it's enough to start the ball rolling.

Good luck and be smart in your pursuit. I hope you get your problems resolved. Too young to feel like that!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/