View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I just read your surgical outcomes thread, and I hope things are continuing to improve for you.

In my confusion, I made a mistake in my original post. I was recommended a 2 level fusion, not 3. Im learning quickly that the good people on this site know much more than I do, in fact many seem to know as much or more than most of the doctors Ive met with. This site is a real blessing.

If you don't mind my asking, I'd really like to get a better sense of your activity level capabilities at this point. It sounds like you were very active before your back problems, as was I. I still lift weights 3-4/week, but I have had to really limit what I can do, both the types of exercises, as well as the amount of weight. Im extremely careful about anything that puts stress on my lower back. I also try to walk a slow mile on the treadmill every other day, but that tends to lead to problems, like back spasms and nerve pain in my glutes and legs if I go even a little more than a slow walk. Its not much, but Im fighting like crazy to stay as active as I can. The activity makes me feel better mentally, and as I am also diabetic, it helps marginally with my glucose control. But I really need to increase the exercise dramtically if its going to be a real factor for me in my diabetic control regime.

Which leads me to my question about your activity level. Are you able at this point to do any rigorous exercise? If not, do you feel like you ever will be? If your history is an indicator, I can imagine it must be tough for you to restrict your exercise.

I still have dreams of getting back to my 2x/week basketball game and lengthy bike rides. I doubt I ever would actually play hoops again, even if my back would let me, but it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences.