View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Three Level ADR

Hi,

I like you was extremely active prior to the onset of my pain. I regularly participated in olympic to half ironman distance triathlon, long distance running, was a gym rat and played tennis at least 4 times a week. As I am sure you can imagine loss of mobility just about did me in mentally. I spent 3 1/2 years chasing my tail (no pun intended) as I exhausted all options available to me.

I was advised by 3 US MDs that I needed an ADR due to multiple level DDD with rupture. A discogram was positive for L2-L4 with L4- L5 looked like a train wreck, massive tear but not particularly painful.

When my US MDs each discovered they would not be performing an ADR on me as I needed a multiple level and am allergic to nickel, they changed their treatment plans to include only what they were able to offer.

Long story short--I had a 3 level M6 with Dr. Clavel in Barcelona 3/14-3 weeks to the day! I was super specific about what were realistic postop goals as I am at a point were I was limited to a recliner with narcs.

He believes I should be running by 6 months with full return to all including triathlon at a year. He did say, you bear the risk of trauma if you fall. This is why I am looking at a year for tennis as I am deconditioned and need time to rebuild.

As you will see on the site, everyone has their own level of acceptance of physical limitation. Mine is rather slim. I cannot wait to run! I will see about triathlons, I am abit afraid to fall off the bike, one of the generator of my ruptures was a bike wreck at 20 mph during a race.

My biggest problem postop is how to pace myself as I feel sooo good, I walked 3 miles-in 3 sessions 3 days ago, a bit overdone, slept most of the next day. But the lack of pain makes it hard to remembeer to slow down

Good luck on your search, I think the decision making is the hardest part. So far I could not be happier!

Laurie
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs