View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal57 View Post
If you don't mind my asking, I'd really like to get a better sense of your activity level capabilities at this point. It sounds like you were very active before your back problems, as was I. I still lift weights 3-4/week, but I have had to really limit what I can do, both the types of exercises, as well as the amount of weight. Im extremely careful about anything that puts stress on my lower back. I also try to walk a slow mile on the treadmill every other day, but that tends to lead to problems, like back spasms and nerve pain in my glutes and legs if I go even a little more than a slow walk. Its not much, but Im fighting like crazy to stay as active as I can. The activity makes me feel better mentally, and as I am also diabetic, it helps marginally with my glucose control. But I really need to increase the exercise dramtically if its going to be a real factor for me in my diabetic control regime.

Which leads me to my question about your activity level. Are you able at this point to do any rigorous exercise? If not, do you feel like you ever will be? If your history is an indicator, I can imagine it must be tough for you to restrict your exercise.

I still have dreams of getting back to my 2x/week basketball game and lengthy bike rides. I doubt I ever would actually play hoops again, even if my back would let me, but it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
As of today I have no limitations and really haven't tackled anything rigorous yet in the form of any crazy workouts with rigorous exercises for that matter. I am now 100% pain free which was my ultimate goal. I just didn't want to post it so soon because I wanted to give myself more time just to make sure this wasn't some fluke or a temporary thing. I am much smarter about how I work out in the gym these days (although I have always been) and don't really want to push my upper limits quite so soon as I feel I have been granted a second chance...and one that I intend to preserve (meaning less wear and tear on the Prodisc L) but I can do most exercises without aggravating my back. The overhead shoulders presses, whether on a machine or w/ free weights, seem to still put some unusual stress on my back so I just reduce the weight or find other ways of working out my shoulders...plenty of exercises for that. I have actually taken some time off from the gym to spend more time with my family (wife and 2 kids) and to really enjoy and participate in life which was something I had missed due to my previous debilitating condition.

As for basketball, I had to give up playing basketball not due to my back but rather because of an ankle ligament reconstruction due to a high ankle sprain I suffered many years ago before my back started "acting up". I wasn't going through that again! I still play on occasion but not aggressively or for competition as I did before...more like when my friends trash talk and I just want to shut them up, though. My shot is still there but I probably won’t be trying to dunk over anyone anymore. I probably won't be taking on any high impact sports or exercises as I don't have a desire to injure or stress any other body part but I do have the intention of returning to long distance running/jogging.

I guess anything is possible and perhaps you will be able to return to playing basketball you're probably just going to have to be patient. I also think that what helped me was the fact that I did some PT several weeks before surgery. Good luck with your endeavors.