View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Pre-surgery panics are common and expected no matter what severity of surgery you'll undergo. I've had a pre-op nurse tell me that if I wasn't panicing before surgery, she'd wonder if there was something wrong with me.

As for what to do, I can't answer much. I will tell you that I've had eight surgeries, my wife's had eight and many diagnostic procedures. I don't even bother worrying about not sleeping the day before the surgery any more. I'd use every trick you can think of to stay rested and stock up on antacids. Asking yourself to stay calm isn't realistic, better that you try to use your stress to help you get yourself ready for surgery. I tend to regard much of my "what if" planning to really be a way to work off my stress and not really useful in and of itself.

The only firm comment I'd make is to stop allow yourself to be judged by those that don't have the background to understand your risks. Don't let the uninformed tear you down. If they really care, they'll take the time to discuss your risks and understand, otherwise don't let them attack you.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog