View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 01:15 PM

As of today I have about 30 days until surgery. I've been out of work for nearly 8 months which has had it's pro's and con's emotionally. The last few years at work prior to my symptoms have been emotionally difficult anyway where I needed to seek the help of a phsycoligist with some therapy and meds (I tunred into a worrier with workforce / political related type stress -- so once the injury occurred and I was out of work then that in itself relieved a bunch of the work related stress.

But, 8 months out of work and the extreme loss of energy due to my symptoms takes its toll emotionally -- especially in the family life. Family tend to get tired of my symptoms and pawn me off as lazy or not getting treated fast enough. People roll their eyes as I dwell on surgical options, etc. I find they simply don't get the extensiveness of the surgery, risks, etc. They think, "just get it fixed already"!

It takes all I can to stay calm and relaxed to avoid getting uptight as others judge. As soon as I find myself getting uptight I have to get away from the situation otherwise my lower back begins to burn like crazy!

Now, as I make my pre-op appointments I get the nervous jitters and I start thinking too much. Thinking of the surgery, what-if's, etc. It's a terrible problem to have.

Is this common? What can I do? What are some strategies or programs available to help reduce the anxiety?

Thanks.
Male, age 42, Hgt 6’ 1”, 195 lbs, Non-smoker, active retail sales manager, pain pre-ADR was chronic & "energy reducing".
02-01-08 Pain levels dropping. Energy good. getting Activity back.
05-02-08 Return to Work
05/08-05/09 Significant anxiety and depression due to loss of job (25 years).
08-16-09 Accepting pain levels of 4/5 at L5 area and left butt / upper left leg areas (charlie horse type of feeling).