Thread: Never give up
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 09:06 AM

I was in the middle of a self-pity party yesterday afternoon when I saw something that really woke me up. I was going into my church's family history center when I saw a somewhat elderly gentleman (maybe late 60's or early 70's)coming out using crutches. He was obviously having a difficult time with them, so, I suggested that he try the forearm type that I've used for several knee surgeries. In the course of the discussion, I asked him how he had injured himself and how long he planned to be on crutches. He replied that he would be on them "for life" due to arthritic hips and knees. I could not believe it. I asked him why in the world he would not consider hip and knee arthroplasty - proven, successful techniques. He replied that his doctor refused to do the surgeries because of the gentleman's obesity. I immediately told Alistair's story about losing "a stone" through swimming and water excercise in order to qualify for an ADR. I suggested that the gentleman join the group of arthritic men and women (myself included)who swim laps and water walk in the morning at our high school natatorium. Although he seemed reluctant, his wife seemed to really take hope from Alistair's story and my suggestions. I really hope to see this gentleman at the pool sometime soon since I cannot imagine denying oneself so much function and independence.

This experience really reminded me that, although there are many medical conditions (especially spinal) that simply cannot be restored with modern technology, we should never give up and assume that we are "done for life". We never know what technology - let alone divine intervention- may bring. Only one thing is sure, and that's if we give up entirely and quit trying to give ourselves the best possible physical life through sensible living and education, we will truely be done.

I'm so thankful for this board and the great people on it who help me to learn the things I need to learn to optimize my spinal health. You all are great.

Best,
Laura
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog