View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of preserved motion, however what is the quality of that motion? If the motion from the ADR is not the same as physiological motion, you are putting your posterior motion segments(ie facet joints) at risk for premature degeneration. So, in a attempt to perserve the anterior motion segment(adjacent vertebral bodies with a disc between them), you could end up degenerating the facets. Your trading one problem for the other. With an ALIF fusion you can minimize adjacent level degeneration because the surgeon can set the lumbar spine in a proper lordotic curve. Also, at the L5-S1 level there is very little motion to begin with, so are you really affecting the spine biomechanics considerably by laying the motion segment to rest? Also, both ADR and ALIF procedures require the surgeon to cut and disturb the anterior longitudinal ligament( a long lig. running down the front of the vertebral bodies linking them into a kinetic chain), potentially disrupting the biomechanics of the spine. Now, Im not a big fusion advocate, I just dont know if the charite and prodisc-l are good enough to last 60 years in my spine. I dont even know if the coments I said about ALIF fusion and ADR are true, Im just relaying my surgeons opinion. Ive heard about problems with discs fitting the vertebral body end plates properly. Also, problems with pitting and wear in the polyurethane core. It seems all the studies on these discs are done in comparison to a 360 degree, highly invasive fusion. Not a modern, minnimally invasive anterior lumbar interbody fusion with r-bmp gel. I know the recovery and rehab is shorter with ADR. Also, it seems people are doing great with them. So, Im torn. I just wanted to offer the alternative philosophy that is still embraced by many spine surgeons.
Is insurance approving these things? I have BC option in upstate NY, I dont even know if I can get the opportunity to get an ADR. How do you go overseas? You need $30,000 in liquid cash or you cant see Dr. B? Can you finance it, or get insurance to pay? I just wanted to strike up a philosophical conversation about the risk/benifit analysis of fusion and ADR. Also, I would love any advice on how to get in front of a good ADR surgeon for the ADR camp prospective. I appreciate any feedback and hope everyone is having a realatively good day.
Former Army Sniper
Waiting as long as I can before getting fusion or perferably ADR