View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
A question to the community – is this an important issue that is worthy of more research and analysis?
Harrison, and all,

I feel this is hugely important and one of the things about medicine I find so problematic. When we get sick, they try to quickly treat the symptoms, but very rarely do they actually treat the cause of the illness, unless it is an obvious infection or something similar. But when treating some illnesses, such as arthritis, they merely say "you have arthritis" and throw drugs at you. The people who treat you aren't the same group that work on the cure. It's amazing to me. We don't do that with our autos, or our houses, or anything else in life when we have a problem. I know that the human body is vastly complex, but they don't seem to be trying hard enough to get at the root problems.

I have reactive arthritis. But they have never told me what caused it, or do they try to cure it. They treat the symptoms. And, much of it is my fault for accepting it up until now. W

When I was about 28, I had my first arthritis flare up. I couldn't believe how terrible I felt. I went to several doctors telling them I felt terrible and all my joints hurt. They did a their exam and then told me "you have arthritis". I couldn't believe it. My wife still laughs because I told one of the doctors "I f&*king told you that when I came in your door. Arthritis means inflamed joints. Why do I have them and how do I get rid of it!" He couldn't answer me.

So, yes, hopefully they will finally research this better. At least our kids will benefit if they do.

3 level DDD L5-S1 through L3-L4.
"Compressed" L5-S1 in ~1992.
Herniation at L3-L4 and L4-L5
Fusion or ADR in near future