View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Emilio, I'm so happy to hear that you have an appointment with Dr. Clavel. I have met many, many neurosurgeons in the last ten years and think he is one of the best! I know you will like him because he is a very smart and nice man.

I used to speak Spanish so, I understand your challenges. Reading was always easier than writing and speaking it for me. I just don't remember enough Spanish anymore to write to you in your own languange I hope to come to Barcelona this summer if Dr. Clavel will agree to do surgery on me. The sooner the better! If you have read my other posts, you will know that I've been struggling with figuring out if I am allergic to the metals in the implant. It's a long story but, the bottom line is I think I will be fine with the M6-C. It took me a very long time to figure this out!

Yes, I research a lot!!! I like to make very informed decisions especially, when it comes to my body. I have read posts for other lumbar patients of Dr. Clavel that are also weightlifters and athletes. I don't want to speak for them. Here are a few names of people you might want to read about.

"Drewrad" https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12923

"JeffR" https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11877

"Lillyth" https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12041
Lillyth had a very complicated surgery by Dr. Clavel. I spoke to her last year and she's doing remarkably well.

Here's a video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO93nl0vYlw

Please don't give up hope and give into your fears. Each person and body responds differently to surgery and it will be what it's going to be. I've read for some lumbar patients it can take up to a year to heal. However, I know a woman in the United States that had two Mobi-C's put in her neck and also had her lumbar fused at the same time. She also got stem cell injections before and after surgery. Seems like it took her about six months or less to heal. She's retired and has been running around like a 20 year old the last year traveling the world! Her surgeon is here in the United States.

If you are still under fifty years old then your facet joints will hopefully, still be in good shape for an ADR. But even then, there is one patient who used stem cell injections to heal his facet joints so, he could get and ADR! That's pretty remarkable. I have spondylosis in my lumbar at L3/L4. Because of that Dr. Clavel recommended fusion there. I am not planning on having a lumbar fusion at this time because I want to see how I will do after I get my neck fixed. My neck has always been the problem that disabled me the most. I will talk to Dr. Clavel about my lumbar again though just to be sure.

Yes, some patients have had a second lumbar surgery to remove the ADR and get a fusion. I just mentioned it because it's one of the risks. Don't focus on the cases that didn't work out. If you need surgery, then you need surgery and have to plan and hope for the best outcome. I know that I have a good chance of getting out of my neck pain with Dr. Clavel's help but, I also know that there is a chance I'll still have pain. Since this problem stole my life from me, I'll do anything to be able to live again. I know many people that have recovered quite well and I'm willing to take the chance. It sounds like your life has been stolen from you too. I'm very sorry about that

There are some lumbar patients of Dr. Zeegers that have done very well. Last year, I saw a video online of a bunch of them skiing again together. I believe Dr. Zeegers is more conservative than Dr. Clavel. I paid him to look at my case too but, decided on Dr. Clavel for me. Only you can decide what you should do. After you have received all your opinions from the best surgeons you can find, some of it comes down to just having a good gut feeling about the surgeon. It helped me to decide by talking and emailing with other patients after they had recovered from their surgeries. Most often, if you send them a private message, they will respond to you.

I just noticed you have problems with L5/S1. Because that bears the most weight in the spine, some surgeons and patients decide that fusion is better than ADR for this level. You might want to explore that with Dr. Clavel and other patients because I don't know anymore about it. It's just what I've read and heard from others. Colorado Babe is the woman I mentioned above who is doing all the traveling. She decided to have her L5/S1 fused instead of getting an ADR at that level. I've spoken to her many times and she's a lovely person. You might want to reach out to her. She is retired from the Air Force. https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12937
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016