View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM

Now that I have my discogram results, I met with my local surgeon today and he said that I am a candidate for a two level disc replacement (L4/L5, L5/S1). He doesn't feel that it is worth it to do only one, since they are both causing pain.

Even though this local surgeon trained in Germany and TBI, he cannot do two levels. He referred me to Dr. Zigler and I made an appt for Feb 12th.

Unfortunately, TBI doesn't have a two level disc trial going on, so I'll have to pay for this myself. Luckily, I have Aetna but Aetna only pays for one level. Anybody have any recommendations for asking for them to pay for two? Any other suggestions?

Also, I have been looking in the archives to see how long I would have to stay in Plano/Dallas after the surgery. Back in 2005, Zigler had people stay for one week. Is that still the case? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of having my husband take time off, etc. My local surgeon said he would be comfortable doing the follow-up visits after the initial appts.

Aetna, I'm sure glad I met ya! :-)

Thank you in advance!
Paula
L4/L5, L5/S1 herniated and bulging, Discogram confirmed
Three spinal nerve blocks, One SI joint nerve block, 8 wks of PT, pain/anti-inflammatory meds
L4/5, L5/S1 ProDisc ADR with Dr. Zigler at Texas