View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSB View Post
I live with daily pain. No whines, just reality.
Sad but true for so many of us Carla ....

It sounds like you've covered all the bases and have a really good attitude going into an ADR surgery. Keeping active and loosing those extra pounds can do nothing but help your post op recovery. Having a good team of docs supporting you is important as well and it looks like you've got that as well..

I personally have not had an ADR placed so I will leave the "what to expect" question for those more versed in the who, what, why of it all ... except to say that you will need to be kind to yourself and take it easy , build back to normal activity slowly and let things heal before you go climbing mountains again..lol

I am probably the most perfect case of what NOT to do with spinal surgery.. so I am not a good example for anyone to follow

I am currently taking 3000 IU of Vit D daily and my levels have gone from 12 (yes 12, I didn't typo ) to 43, and that has taken almost 2 yrs to climb up that high. But then I also had some very rare nasties causing that low of a Vit D that no one caught until after my neck refused to fuse... The tumor that caused my Vit D and calcium issues has been removed and current expectations are that my bones will fully re-mineralize within 5 yrs of maintaining "normal" Vit D levels.

I Had a normal DEXA x2 but they were taken on my hip and did not show the severe osteoporosis I had in either my spine or my rib cage.. so it's important to get your scans on the area where the surgery will be performed.

Current research out of the UC Riverside Vit D group says that older adults can safely take 3000 - 4000 IU of Vit D without any side effects if your levels are low. But please follow your Physicians advice on the issue as this is a new and ever expanding area of research right now..
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.