View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Default I just want my life back

Hello all!

I am 39 year old law enforcement officer and have been for 17 years. My "injury" is on the job due to a culmination of job duties. I have been dealing with this since April of 2011 trying to get a resolution. I've tried all conservative treatment - some of them twice. Nothing gave me any relief and then in March of this year the pain got increasingly worse. I've been off work and have seen received four opinions on the matter of my back pain. All agree that surgery is the only thing that would help.

The first (a work comp doctor) said he wouldn't recommend surgery. He never said what type of surgery, but said that surgery would only give me a 50% chance of feeling better and a 10% chance of making it worse.

The second said a fusion was needed at LS1 and that it should be done sooner than later. Since my MRI was a year old, he ordered new one before he gave an opinion on what should be done about L45. I got the MRI but didn't go back to see him for the reasons that follow.

By this point worker's comp was increasingly difficult to deal with so I retained an attorney specializing in worker's comp. She sent me to yet another doctor who was able to see ALL of my films, all very current. He showed me the MRI from July 2011 and the new one from August 2012. The difference in the L45 disc was obvious to me and I have no medical training. To me this explained my increase in pain and decrease in function. This doctor recommended a fusion at L5S1 and a ADR with a Prodisc at L45. After he explained everything to me, I was all for it. I had already done some research on ADR so I understood what he was telling me and I agreed.

Worker's comp approved all of this doctor's request except the ADR. They want to leave the L45 disc alone to see if a fusion at L5S1 alone will work. I decided that isn't good enough so I am now fighting for the ADR.

I saw a state "second opinion" doctor yesterday who wasn't sure I needed surgery at all. I told him surgery was already approved and that I was seeing him only to determine the ADR. He NEVER looked at my films - he only read the reports and said he didn't see anything on the report that he thought needed surgery. I again told him that it has already been determined that I did need surgery but that it was the ADR that was in question. He told me that ADR only have a 40% success rate and that "really bad things have happened." He said that the ADR has "popped out through the front."

I went on about a 10 minutes rant about all the studies I have read, what two doctors have told me, the research I have done, and why I believe it is right for me. I think I caught him off guard because he looked a little (a lot) uncomfortable and said, "Fine. I'll approve it, but remember my words."

I don't know if he said that just to get me out of his office or if he really is going to write a report saying I should have an ADR. I will find out soon I hope. In the meantime, I have an appointment next week with an Agreed Medical Examiner and I'm hoping that goes a little better and he at least looks at my films.

I'm glad I found this forum as I really feel depressed at the state that I am in.
I have small kids, and a job I have to spend another 13 years doing. I am (was) very active and am so limited in activity at this point I don't know what to do. I went from running, spinning, lifting weights, swimming, and hiking to being able to walk about two blocks before my leg is numb and my back and hip are on fire. I have always prided myself of being strong and self reliant, and now I feel so weak and needy.

Anyway, I'm glad I found you all....I feel better already.

C.

L5S1 - severe disc herniation, bone on bone, spurring, annular fissuring, stenosis, degenerative disc disease.

L45 - mild disc herniation, decrease in disc height, stenosis, beginning degeneration.

Proposed:
ADR at L45
Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion at L5S1