View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 PM

I have a copy of all of my films, but not the radiologists reports. I couldn't say off the top of my head what they said. I have to admit that my record keeping in the beginning wasn't the best because I really thought it was something that rest and conservative treatment would help.

By the time I retained an attorney I realized that I was going to have to step up my game I really started asking for and getting copies of everything and taking lots of notes. I also wrote a timeline of everything that I have gone through, with doctor appointments, how I felt, my pain levels, what activities I could do (or not) all with dates to the best of my recollection. I take that timeline with me everywhere so I can ensure I don't miss anything when I go over my history. That timeline is up to six pages. I don't give it to anyone, I just use it for my own reference when I'm speaking to whomever.

I also touch base with my attorney almost every day so that she understands how involved I am in my own care and so I can get the best service possible. I have a union rep that went through a fusion and he has been maintaining contact with me and making phone calls when necessary. I've got a lot of good people on my side.

Thanks for the kind words, I know that I am my own best advocate and I think one of the best things you can do is to stay informed, ask questions, research, and push back when necessary. My surgeon was shocked at my response when he asked me to explain what I was proposing to have have done and why. He said he hasn't had a patient with such an excellent understanding and ability to articulate it. I'm a fighter and they way I see it, I'm fighting for my quality of life. I was so happy to have found you all....I can find reports, studies, and journals online, but it's great to talk to people who have actually gone through it. Thank you so much!

L5S1 - severe disc herniation, bone on bone, spurring, annular fissuring, stenosis, degenerative disc disease.

L45 - mild disc herniation, decrease in disc height, stenosis, beginning degeneration.

Proposed:
ADR at L45
Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion at L5S1