View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM

I would just like to say it is a pleasure to be here. After being a compatative athlete my life has been shaken by the development of severe discogenic pain eminating from a degenerative L5-S1 disc.

After finding out I am candidate for ADR I have done extensive research which lead me to this site and the caring people that are here. I hope that I can gather some support from those who understand my situation and offer any of my own support or thoughts to all others.

Having attempted ALL conservtive measures with no success I appear to be staring surgery in the face. However, I am only four months along since the onset of pain so the docs say that they will not consider surgery until I have suffered this way for at least 2-3 more months and possibly more. I understand their timeline and am NOT looking to get into the OR at all, plus I appreciate having a doc who does not look for an excuse to operate. Still, at some point I want to know I am taking the necessary steps to get my life back.

My first question is has anyone had experience or heard of stories where discogenic low back pain did improve significantly over time. My second question would be a request to anyone willing to share their experience regarding how active they were able to be after ADR surgery. My final question (for know) would be how many opinions it is wise to gather from surgeons who perform ADR to be sure it is right for me.

I am happy to answer any additional questions and am so appreciative of any and all thoughts, advice, and good cheer. This experience has been challenging to say the least but I feel lucky to now be in such good company.

Best wishes