View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry4956 View Post
So it sounds like L4-S1 are the 2 levels of concern, correct? Hybrid procedures in which L5-S1 is fused and a adr at L4-L5 are very common and even preferred by many. In fact, it seems that adr's at L5-S1 level are now being done much more selectively. ADRs at the L5/S1 level experience greater sheer forces than the higher levels and the data seems to be showing that more adr failures are occurring at L5-S1 (See Vicki in surgical Outcomes section). 'Drewrad' or Drew just had a hybrid done in Spain last week and I know he's doing great. You stated that you wanted no part of fusions, but a hybrid in which the level or levels above the fusion are ADRs should make this a one and done spine surgery - if you make sure you have a excellent experienced ADR spine surgeon do it.

Get several opinions from different surgeons and decide who you want to trust your spine with FIRST
Then once you decide who you want as your surgeon, then let him explain your options. The biggest step and most important - is to decide who you want as a surgeon, then you get down to business
Thanks Henry. Ya, I'm just afraid that a fusion will lead to more problems...however, if an ADR goes above it, I can see why it wouldn't cause an issue.
One potential issue is finding someone here to treat me in the states, post-op. How did everyone go about doing that? I am in NJ, and can travel to Philly and NYC.