View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM

CG,
Before my 2006 fusion, most of my symptoms were focused on muscle pain in my shoulder and occasional numbness radiating down my arms; whenever I turned my head. I did have migraines - which I didn't think were related, until I had THE ONE that landed me in the hospital. This migraine was the turning point in my cervical health and from that point on my other symptoms became chronic. My "migraines" were basically gone after the surgery - along with all other symptoms. Within a few months after surgery, I was working out again, rollerblading, and even downhill skied six months later.

Your spine is designed for movement, fusion halts that movement and displaces the energy to the adjacent levels; thus causing additional stress. In some cases, it will be a godsend and you will never experience any additional spinal problems again. However, in my case, my adjacent levels developed DDD; the discs herniated and deteriorated. Not only did I start getting muscle and nerve pain (stabbing pain in my shoulder blades), but the headaches came back with a vengeance.

I began keeping records of the frequency of my symptoms in relation to my activity. I found that as long as I was sedentary and experienced no stress - I could remain symptom free. BTW, I'm not a sedentary person. I found that whenever I worked the muscles in my upper body (anything from routine household chores to sports activities), I began to experience a low-grade to moderate pain; including a dull-headache. Eventually within hours it would upgrade (at times) to the debilitating migraines that I could no longer live with (and I truly mean that I couldn't live with it anymore). Also, we accumulate stress in those surrounding muscle tissues. Anytime I began to feel pain, my muscles naturally tightened and it slowly moved up through my C-spine into my head. This was nothing more than a vicious circle.

When I saw my ortho and changed to my neuro surgeon - I explained this tendency and really felt that I wasn't getting a serious response. They just told me fusion (ultimate answer for everything in the US) would be the best correction. I held off (5 years until something miraculous appeared - ADR).

I will not compromise the integrity of your physician - as I am not qualified to contradict his evaluation, but I do feel that you need another opinion. It is in your best health interest - remember you are the one who lives with the consequences regardless of your decision. US surgeons are still limited to the type of ADR surgery that they can perform. I agree that some of these devices do not appear to be designed for cervical/lumbar implantation; they are similar to the design of socket implantation. This is where I might agree, but this is where you should not leave it alone.....look into other devices. My life changed when I discovered the M6 and began research.

All I can say.....I experienced severe migraines (not just headaches) on a regular weekly basis - ultimately lasting 2-4 days before the onset of another. As my DDD progressed-it became consistent. I do believe that it had much to do with the muscle tightening and hardened "knots" throughout my neck. Since my surgery 6+ weeks ago, I have only experienced 1 and was remedied with a muscle relaxer and ibuprofen (something that never worked before). I'm not exactly sure if it was connected since the pain "seemed" different. I will be following up with a neurologist here (Chicago area) who also does ADR surgeries. I will bring up this question and certainly will share with you.

If I can leave you with anything.....please get other opinions. You wouldn't be inquiring on this site if you weren't satisfied with what you heard. This is the only body you get (and live with), treat it well and give yourself relief that you will make the best "informed" decision.

Wishing you health, Laura
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6