ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Default Seeking Advice

Hello, my name is Casey and I'm a 27 year old male from Florida. I currently work in the law enforcement career field as a Detective and am a ex-SWAT team member. I have lived an extremely active lifestyle within my 27 years and even made it through the rigors of graduating from The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina.

Last July of 2012, I was on patrol in my assigned beat area when I came to a red light at an intersection in my marked patrol vehicle. I waited for the red light to turn green and began hearing screeching tires. I looked up into my rear window and observed a large SUV heading towards my car a high rate of speed. The large SUV collided into my rear bumper injuring myself and another civilian that was under arrest. The driver of the SUV fell out of the driver's seat severely intoxicated and was later arrested for DUI. My passenger was transported to the emergency room and I was released shortly after with a sore neck and back.

A few days passed and I began experiencing a sore lower back. I believed this was due to the crash and hoped it would subside with time. Unfortunately for me I began experiencing more and more pain and saw a neurosurgeon who ordered an MRI. The MRI findings stated:

"Anterior subluxation is at L5-S1 with bilateral pars defect. The L5-S1 is narrowed, degenerated, and unroofed by the subluxation with broad based disc protrusion projecting slightly superiorly behind inferior L5. The SI joints are symmetric in width without evidence of widening or effusion to suggest sacroililitis. No significant osteophyte formation is adjacent to the SI joints. No sacral fractures or other significant sacral pathology is identified."

The Impression:

"Spondylolisthesis 8-10mm slip and spondylolysis L5-S1. Broad based disc protrusion at L5-S1."

I began experiencing tingling in left leg with additional weakness. Standing for a significant amount of time began bothering me. I also had a sore lower back throughout the day.

The Neurosurgeon ordered ESI and physical therapy which didn't help. I finally had a microdisectomy and laminectomy at L5-S1 on March 8, 2012 with the hopes this would help my spondylolisthesis. I now am approximately 3 months out of surgery, have completed physical therapy and am still experiencing weakness in my left leg. The sciatica is not as severe but my leg is still not right. I also still have a constant sore lower back. Movement and exercise seem to help with the soreness but sitting and standing for extended periods kill me.

Any advice as to which procedures, ADRs, and or doctors that could help would be extremely appreciated. Any persons with similar issues would also be very helpful. I am willing to travel domestically or internationally to receive treatment. I want my life back that was taken away from an irresponsible person. Thank you for your time.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 AM

I am so sorry that you are here.
I too had troubles sitting because of damage to my L5/S1. The sciatica made things miserable for me. Sitting, walking, even bending to tie my shoe was miserable. I, like many others here went overseas for my ADR surgery.
Feel free to PM me about my experience.

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. How was your experience overseas? Did you find any relief after the surgery? Thanks for the help
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Casey, a centimeter of spondylolisthesis is absolutely significant! In most (perhaps all) clinical studies, "slippage" or instability at this degree means disqualification.

Remember, I am no doc. But still, this is a huge flag of caution. Fusion may be a good thing to re-stabilize that area and take weight and torsion of of ligaments and nerves.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Casey,

Unfortunately, a pars defect (basically a fracture) also eliminates ADR as an option. Fusion would most likely be your best option.

Sorry,
Bill
Looking at Lumbar ADR in Spring 2014 overseas
Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Hi Casey,

Sorry to hear of you accident. I was rear ended in 2009 and understand your pain and frustration. I too experienced pain, numbing and tingling in both arms & my right leg. Three years of PT, pain management (I hate pain meds) shots and multiple rounds of doctor visits I finally decided a fusion was NOT what I wanted (my neuro also said in his opinion that a 2 level ADR was my best option) So I made the decision to go to Spain. Today, I am back to living a pain free and full life once again! Do your research and find the solution you are the most comfortable with... it is a grueling process, at least it was to me. I was very nervous about having surgery away from home. But I researched, soul searched and talked to some of the fabulous people here on the forum about their decision, surgery and outcomes. Knowledge is power and the knowledge gave me the comfort to make a decision that many people thought was insane. I must have heard "Are you crazy, you are going to Spain for surgery??" at least a 1000 times! LOL Empower yourself & do the research...

Best of luck - also from Florida!
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 PM

Are there any new procedures for spondylolisthesis that are better alternatives than the traditional fusion? Thank you
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Take a look at the diagrams and types of spondy:

Spondylolisthesis Treatment Option - Spinal Decompression Surgery, Orange California

Stabilizing your core will help significantly; but you need to get the pressure off of your nerves. Significantly improving your diet (hypernutrition with organic foods, juicing) will help too!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate