ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Fun, Healthy Drink

I'll be making this today. It may be particularly helpful to people with arthritis.

A RECIPE FOR TURMERIC JUICE: A POWERFUL HEALING BEVERAGE

When I lived in Bali, I fell in love with the Balinese-style turmeric juice, Jamu Kunyit.

Turmeric is known to be one of the most powerful healing herbs. It is great for bones and joints as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It prevents metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.

Turmeric's also a natural liver detoxifier and a kidney cleanser, and it speeds metabolism and aids in weight management. Plus it heals and alleviates conditions of depression, psoriasis, damaged skin, arthritis and more.

For these reasons, turmeric is ubiquitous both in Ayurveda and Chinese Medicine.

Here's what you'll need to get started:

- 5-7 inches turmeric
- 5-7 tamarind
- 2 lemons
- raw honey
- water
- blender
- strainer
- bowl
- mason jar(s) or other glass jar with lid

1. Peel turmeric. Your fingers will turn yellow. Don’t worry! All-natural dish soap gets it right out. If your cutting board or countertop get stained, slather on dish soap and rub it in. Let it soak in for 5 min or longer, then scrub with water and sponge. The turmeric stain will vanish!

2. Crack and open tamarind. Make sure you get all the inner roots off, too. We’re only going to use the inner fruit.

3. Fill a big pot with water, put peeled tumeric in and let it boil for at least 20 minutes until the water becomes a rich and vibrant marigold color.

4. While the tumeric water is boiling, get a pan and pour 1 inch of water in with the peeled tamarind. Move the fruit around with a wooden utensil, mix it in with the water so it can melt and dissolve into a jam like texture. More water shouldn’t be needed, but if it’s lookin’ a bit dry, pour water in as needed.

By this time, you should be able to see the little seeds coming out. When the texture looks soft, turn heat off and let it cool down.

5. Go back to the tumeric water. By now, the color should look ready. Pour a little bit of cold water to lower the temperature. Take the turmeric water and pour it into the blender with the tumeric. We boiled it so the root could soften and have more flavor, now it’s ready to buzz in the blender for even more flavor and richness! Blend, blend, blend. The color now should look like an extra extra fiery marigold.

6. Go back to the tamarind in the pan. Pour substance into the strainer that is placed on top of a small bowl to catch the tamarind. Swish the jam like substance around in the strainer with the wooden utensil-- we only want to use the soft bits of the fruit. No seeds, no seed peels.

7. Pour the tamarind that has been caught in the bowl into the blender with the tumeric water. Buzz it around again.

8. We’re almost done. Squeeze your lemons into the blender. Now take the blender and pour your yummy juice into your mason jar(s). Add honey to taste, close with lid, shake it up to mix.

9. Store in fridge up to 3-4 days and drink daily!

Source: Your Guide to Wellness - MindBodyGreen.com
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM

Turmeric is SO healthy. Great idea, except I know how I am. I won't take the time. Would something pre=made have the same affect? Such as: Turmeric Drink | Raw, Organic, Vegan - TumericALIVE Is there an easier way? Maybe just stir in Turmeric powder in juice etc?
2010: Discogram & MRI - S1 - L2 Lumbar DDD
2011: MRI same. Quality of life issue. Wake up middle of night with leg pain often.
2013: MRI. Had enough. Ready for surgery.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Talking

Lewis, good question. Just use turmeric powder, or the root, and eat it any way you can! Turmeric powder is inexpensive and easy to sprinkle on food as you cook.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 AM

And there is a growing body of evidence on Turmeric and its anti Alzheimers qualities. They have been studying cultures where they eat tons of curries and are trying to find the relationship between the Cur-cumin/Turmeric and the low incidence of the disease in those who eat it regularly. Any excuse to have MORE CURRIES please!
C5/6 - disc markedly degenerate w very prominent left paracentral/foraminal component, producing mod-to-high grade stenosis right C6nerve root exit foramen + early facet joint degen. Some deformity & indentation on cord.
C6/7 advanced disc osteophyic complex, effaces anterior CSF space and posteriorly displaces the cord. Mod-to-high grade stenosis of both C7 nerve root exit foramina. Facet joints - minor degeneration.
2 LEVEL ADR Surgery performed by Dr. Bierdstedt - NOV 7th 2013
Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Good point, thanks for sharing Heidi!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM

I cooked in a nice hotel restaurant when I was in High School while there the Chef started working out at the gym I was going to. Then next night he had me go and get probably 6 different veggies and fruits from the cooler. We started juicing then I got addicted to how good I felt and noticed the improvement in mood, stamina and over all feeling. It helped with energy to as I was starting my days at 4:30am would do a workout at gym then go to class. After school it was football for 2 hours then home to get the home work done and off to work till 11pm in a medium paced kitchen. We would just grab what we had and sounded good to us. We would do apples, grapes, oranges, lemons, carrots, grapefruit, celery, and kale all in one thing. It smelled horrible but tasted good. It was a different taste every time you took a drink. I have made it for others since and they turn their nose up until I talk them into tasting in and ignoring the smell. I would do it now but I can't afford the $80 a week in produce.

6 months of PT
2 Right SI joint injections
3 L5-S1 injections
6 facets injections
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Good post Robert. But hey, there's a middle ground: eat as much organic as possible every day; and juice once or twice a week...
Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 PM

I have started to trying to eat as clean and natural as I can. I have started cooking more again instead of just doing the quick processed meal I now try and do stuff from scratch with non processed ingredients. My wife and I go to the grocery store quit a bit to check out the meat and seafood department to see if any of the lean meats and salmon are on sale or on managers discount due to sell by date coming up. We have save a lot by getting it and freezing it. Also every July my family and inlaws go to Missouri to do trout fishing. In three days we usually come home with roughly 100 rainbow trout depending on how hard we fish. We have it figured out how long we can make it last to get us almost through the year and still be fresh. We use farmers markets and garden to so it helps. My families diet has changed over the last year especially because I started looking at all the stuff being done to our food and didn't like what I was seeing so I started making the push to change the way we eat.

6 months of PT
2 Right SI joint injections
3 L5-S1 injections
6 facets injections
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Very interesting posts...thanks for sharing! I will try to include the powder in my daily habit and prepare the drink once a week.

If it doesn´t help, it want make anything worse.