ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > "Getting Back on Their Feet" New Film on DVD

"Getting Back on Their Feet" New Film on DVD This forum describes the video, its two year pre-release saga and how to obtain this educational 75 minute film produced specifically for spine patients considering artificial disc replacement.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM

I think it looks quite compelling and I immediately empathized with the comments of the interviewees.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Default Great Film!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
All members!

Finally, after two years of hard work, the high definition DVD is ready for global distribution! Getting Back on Their Feet was produced and created by the Arthroplasty Patient Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization. This film provides a comprehensive perspective on the spine motion preservation technology called artificial disc replacement. It is uniquely designed for people considering major spine surgery (especially ADR) and provides insights from experienced patients.

Produced and narrated by an artificial disc patient (umm, that would be me...) the film follows the journey of seven spine patients who offer candid stories about the struggles, decisions, challenges, and victories they faced along the way.

Getting Back on Their Feet walks the viewer through all the stages faced by a patient choosing to undergo spinal surgery with artificial disc replacement:
  • Problem realization
  • Pain management
  • Diagnosis
  • Exploring options
  • Decision making
  • Surgery
  • Post-op recovery
  • Support
  • Looking back
The Arthroplasty Patient Foundation was founded in 2007 to empower patients and help them research the range of treatments available for their spine dysfunction, whether device-based, biological, or naturopathic.

See the trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2pNgqkwQ8

Your contribution to obtain this ground-breaking DVD is tax deductible. Start the secure ordering process here:

http://www.arthropatient.org/order-videos/

There's much more information to come in the next week. Thank you to the people that contributed to this landmark film -- especially the patients interviewed!

I just wanted to let you know that I watched the video this morning and was very impressed. There is something very powerful about having other people understand exactly what you are going through and who can offer experience, strength, and hope. I am meeting with my surgeon, Dr. Hyun Bae, who works with Rick Delamarter in Santa Monica, tomorrow to discuss the surgery and Axiomed study. I will either receive the freedom disc or prodisc. Surgery has always scared me, but I am at the point where I know I can't continue like this forever. I really appreciated the film and would like to get additonal input as I go through this process. Of course, I would be happy to help others too. Are you available to speak directly? I saw your cell number, but didn't want to call without asking first.

Thanks.

Steve
L5-S1 Herniated Disc, Lumbar Radiculopathy, Discogenic Pain, Degenerative Joint Disease, Sciatica
Chronic Muscle Spasms of Qudrates Lumborum, Piriformis, Gluteal & Psoas Muscles

I appreciate input about ADR for L5-S1, especially questions I should ask and what I should expect with surgery and recovery. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Thx for posting

Steve,

Sorry for the delay -- it was nice of you to post this. I do share my business cell number to communicate, share and learn from other patients. I don't pretend to know too many technical aspects of ADR; I leave that for the spine doctors. But I do research all the other issues we patients need to be mindful of as we approach some kind of treatment; and that's where I hope we as a non-profit can help.

As a spine patient in pain, there's way too much information to consider. That's why I tackled this video project (jeez, started almost three years ago!). I hope it provides a comprehensive, honest assessment of artificial disc replacement for patients and even medical professionals. I believe it does -- thanks to the patients in the film. And of course, Moki, the video producer. It would not have happened if not for him!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Sorry to share this with you – but someone recently made a donation via PayPal to the foundation and expected a DVD. That same day, I emailed the person and thanked them and asked them for clarification. I never heard back from Tom in Florida and he is now disputing this through PayPal.

Many members here will find emails from the organization (it's .org) clipped or in their spam filter and it creates an admin nightmare for me. Tom, I’ve emailed you so many times; I’ll try from other email addresses…

If anyone cares to order the video, this is the most expeditious and reliable way to do it: http://www.arthropatient.org/order-video/

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up Lowering the Donation Price

Johnny raised a good point earlier. Effective immediately, the recommended donation price for the DVD is $30 for all (and only) ADRSupport members.

I'd like all patients considering ADR to watch this, especially about the parts about risks and contraindications. It really breaks my heart to read posts from patients who are "high risk" or contraindicated have surgery, then have poor outcomes. That's one of many ways this video can help inform patients.

Remember that any donations are tax deductible. Also, please use the official (and efficient) ordering site here when ordering.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 PM

The title of this forum says "HD", yet it seems to be a DVD. Those two terms are in conflict. Do you have a Blu-Ray version? Is the source material HD?

(Mr. Staci70)
C6-C7 ADR Prodisc-C on 11/07/2009
Old 12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Red face

Thanks for all the comments all. I have one question back to you: how helpful was the part about contraindications & risks? Was any of this information new or helpful in framing questions with your surgeon?

Mr Staci, yes, good question. I shot all the footage in 1080i, but downconverted to SD (standard definition). For most, it will look like something between the two because of the high quality source video.

I wanted to produce Blu Ray (and still might) if I get more money; but that may not be cost-effective given the relatively low rates of Blu Ray use in the US. Surely, this is changing daily. Ultimately, I need to keep the costs down for everyone involved -- it's important for patients to absorb as much of this material as possible.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up National Press Release for Video

Jan 05, 2010 05:17 AM ET
New Documentary Reveals the Story Behind Modern Spine Surgery

"Getting Back on Their Feet" Delivers Never-Before-Seen Interview Footage of Patients Who Underwent Artificial Disc Replacement Surgery

WOBURN, MA--(Marketwire - January 5, 2010) - Spine patients afflicted with severe degenerative disc diseases often find diagnostic and treatment options as daunting as the surgery itself. Fortunately, "Getting Back on Their Feet," a new documentary released by the Arthroplasty Patient Foundation, was created specifically to help spine surgery patients overcome obstacles they encounter in their search for wellness.

By compiling advice from a global community of artificial disc replacement (ADR) patients, the unique 75-minute documentary saves patients hundreds of hours of research time. The film provides patients a clearer understanding of spinal dysfunction and helps them make informed decisions about their possible treatments. Using a series of candid interviews, the film's producer, Richard Longland, follows seven patients from their first debilitating pains through surgery and into recovery. The film provides a comprehensive source of educational information, potential risks and contraindications of ADR surgery.

The film also helps physicians understand patients' perspectives as they journey from diagnosis to recovery, and provides an educational tool addressing the questions and concerns of their patients. "Getting Back on Their Feet" helps accelerate the dialogue between the patient-doctor team and making the most efficient use of time so doctors and patients can concentrate on what is most important: treating spinal dysfunction.

"The visual medium of film is an ideal method to distill complex spine issues and convey that information to a wide audience in an objective manner," says Longland. "As a spine patient myself, I found that when you interview someone face-to-face, it creates an honest intimacy and allows patients to openly share their stories in ways that they could never share online or over the phone."

About the Arthroplasty Patient Foundation

Richard Longland, an ADR spine patient, founded the Arthroplasty Patient Foundation to help patients identify solutions for their spine dysfunction, whether surgical, biological, or alternative. As a 501(c)(3) organization, the foundation seeks partners truly committed to helping spine patients return to the highest possible quality of life. Its web site and new film can be found at: www.arthropatient.org and its global discussion board is www.adrsupport.org/forums.

Richard Longland
Principal and Founder
The Arthroplasty Patient Foundation
617-314-5900
Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 PM

I would heartily recommend this excellent DVD to anyone who is considering back surgery.

I found it very informative, supportive and reassuring. Whilst at the same time, challenging as it makes you think about the questions, which on a daily basis we (or at least i) tend not to think about as a defence mechanism. Having watched this video I feel energised and emboldened to do the research work I need to and find the information I require to take control of my own healthcare.

I would like to thank Richard and most of all those brave enough to open up on camera like that, its been a great help!

Marcus (from England)
Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Default Great resource for patients considering ADR

Richard,

Wanted to thank you for all your work in producing the video. My wife and I found it enlightening and supportive. I feel like it is a great introduction for those considering ADR. If you ever plan on updating it in the future, some topics that you could consider adding, perhaps in more detail:

1. Consideration of medical tourism - risks, things to consider
2. A review of the history of ADR device and procedure development, and where we stand today both in the U.S. and worldwide.
3. Interviews with some of the top surgeons in the field, obviously with a disclaimer that the non-profit does not endorse any specific surgeon.

it was an extremely well produced video - top quality!

Thanks again,

Tigerpaw75 (Tom)

Hybrid ADR (L4-L5)/Fusion (L5-S1) - 4/2/2010 at Texas Back Institute
Lots of Lortab and Percocet
L5-S1 Laminectomy/Discectomy - Sept 2008
2 epidural steriod injections
One quack chiroprator
Lots of physical therapy
Several small back injuries while working as a nurse