ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 PM

Default Long time lurker, first time poster

Hi everyone,

I've been poking around the public areas of the forum for a while now, figured it was time to sign up and really start collecting info and asking questions.

My signature pretty much tells the story. Over the years I've had minor issues with my low back, but nothing serious at all. I was a very active person so I figured the injuries went with the territory. That all changed a couple of years ago, and here I am now.

I figured I could manage this condition with physio and exercise, which is probably why I remained a lurker. The pain is more annoying for me than debilitating, some days I'm ok, others I'm chewing ibuprofen like candy.

However it really hit home recently when I was asked if I wanted to hold my newborn nephew. He liked to keep moving which meant I hand to stand with him and bounce. After a minute of that my low back was stiffening up and I had to hand him off. We plan on starting a family of our own and I know that right now holding a baby while standing will be an issue, and holding him/her over my head is out of the question.

So, long story short.....time to get this fixed! I have a bunch of questions, but I'll post them in the appropriate spots.
More physio, provides relief but not solution
March 2014 - ADR research in earnest begins
Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 PM

what age are you and welcome?
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 PM

Hi Chris,

Welcome.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of info here from people dealing with back problems. The one thing I find missing from your intro is your involvement with any doctors.
In your name does the wpg mean Winnipeg?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
what age are you and welcome?
Hi pittpete. I'm 40, at least for the next couple of days.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
Hi Chris,

Welcome.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of info here from people dealing with back problems. The one thing I find missing from your intro is your involvement with any doctors.
In your name does the wpg mean Winnipeg?

Hey Stone,

Yes, it does mean Winnipeg. Stonewall mean the town too? The only involvement I've had with doctors so far is with my family physician who got the MRI done with me, and I've met a couple of times with a sports doctor at the Pan Am clinic who basically reviewed the results and recommended the physio. My physician has two patient that had adr, one in Germany, and the other in Brandon, Manitoba of all places. Still have to get more info on that.

I do plan on going back to Pan Am shortly to discuss disc replacement options and discovering if there's a way to get Manitoba Health to cover some of the costs if I go overseas.

Chris
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 AM

Yes, Stonewall means the town, from Winnipeg, up hwy 7, turn left on hwy 67.
Do you go to the pan am pain clinic on the second floor?
I knew about the doctor in Brandon, and why I decided against going there. My pain doc had his opinion about him which was pretty much mine.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 AM

Oh sorry missed this in your post,

Your going to the pan am clinic to discuse ADR? I can already tell you what they will say. Been there, did it. I like the pan am clinics X-ray machines because they can produce a cd. I like to read the radiologist report, and laugh. "He has a prosthetic in his back.". Okay, I don't need the radiologist report, I need the X-ray on cd so I can send the image to Germany, it's a requirement for Dr. B.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM

I haven't talked to the doctor at Pan Am (Verity I think it's spelled) about ADR yet, but I was planning on doing it. What did they tell you? My family doctor knows of two patients in her clinic that had ADR, she was going to get feedback from them on their experiences from me.

Did you meet with the doc from Brandon? I get the feeling you didn't think highly of him. Besides, I'm sure his experience level doesn't come close to the doctors in Germany, and with our 'free' healthcare system it would take years to see him anyways.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:58 AM

I can't speak for my pain doc and his interaction with the Brandon doc. I never met the doc in Brandon and have no opinion on it other than that my research would suggest that I shouldn't follow up, on it. And I should not have personalized my previous comment directed at him. It was mostly directed at the current state of our health care system.
One thing I learned is that Canada has a two tiered health care system. The second tier is out of country.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM

"One thing I learned is that Canada has a two tiered health care system. The second tier is out of country. "
LOL Bingo! And the first one is not that good.
I've pretty much given up, I believe my GP is on the verge of trying to get our health system on board for an out of country procedure. I've tried two centres and neither will accept our gov't insurance. Our retirement is comfortable and I am reluctant to disturb it's financial foundation.