ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
I had 2 level PLIF with my facets removed at L4-S1.

My Questions:

-for those who have recovered from surgery, has your mobility come back? meaning; are you able to bend, reach, twist without pain or major mechanical stiffness?

Im a little stiff but my mobility is better than before surgery. I can actually bend w/o always guarding my spine.

-How much pain are you on a "good day" and a "bad day"?
Mostly good days i'd say 1/10
A few bad days in the last 2 years i'd say 5/10

-Do you ever regret getting surgery (fusion or ADR), please keep it real?
No.I'm so much better after surgery.I'll never be perfect but it doesnt stop me from being active and learning to enjoy life again.

-Due to my age and overall good health, would it be wise to "ride it out" and buy some time until I can go no more before I start considering surgery?

The longer you wait in my opinion, the worse your facets can get.
Mine were so bad at age 44, i had no choice but to have a fusion.
Maybe be a bit proactive before you have no options.

-I am terrified that if I go the ADR route now my problems won't be improved, and that if I wait too long my problems will be too bad that surgery won't fix anything.
Honestly you'll know when your ready. When you become afraid to do every day things, stop going out with family for dinner, fearing your back will go out after a long car ride, etc....
Thank you for your honest responses! I'm glad surgery worked well for you! It is encouraging to hear success stories. Being in the medical field I find a lot of negative opinions about spinal surgery (from fellow nurses and even spinal surgeons). Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbackbeauty View Post
Thank you, I agree with your advice. I find low impact cardio, core strengthening, and gentle stretching work best for me. I am able to function at home without pain if I keep a constant workout routine. My frustration and biggest problem not feeling adequate and physically capable to go back to work. I initially though it was a psychological limitation and fear of getting hurt again but after going back for a few shifts I decided I wasn't able to care for my patients the proper way so I'm back on leave and trying to decide what to do next. It's driving me nuts!
Hi badbackbeauty, sound like me as i trying to go back to my service Engineer job but i just can't perform most of the task. I end up also back to light duty and leave and been trying to rehab for almost 9 months now. Been better but slow slow slow and can have a flare up here and there and end up on bed for 5-10 days depend how bad it is. I only have back pain on my L6-S1 and the rest of disc look very healthy without DDD on it. I also trying to decide to surgery or NOT, as it seem like affecting my life, family and job now. My surgeon said i have about 80% success rate after operation and can be back to normal again. Sound good but not sure wanna to risk it or i should said give it a go...who know what will happen !!!! THINKING FUSION ON L6S1 !!!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmas2000 View Post
Hi badbackbeauty, sound like me as i trying to go back to my service Engineer job but i just can't perform most of the task. I end up also back to light duty and leave and been trying to rehab for almost 9 months now. Been better but slow slow slow and can have a flare up here and there and end up on bed for 5-10 days depend how bad it is. I only have back pain on my L6-S1 and the rest of disc look very healthy without DDD on it. I also trying to decide to surgery or NOT, as it seem like affecting my life, family and job now. My surgeon said i have about 80% success rate after operation and can be back to normal again. Sound good but not sure wanna to risk it or i should said give it a go...who know what will happen !!!! THINKING FUSION ON L6S1 !!!

Hello there! I feel your pain, I go back and forth constantly. On my good days it's very easy to say I don't need surgery but then I remember I can't go back to work like this either. I've been out for about 5months this time (I've also had previous episodes, about once a year but they have got better with rest and mechanical decompression, not really working this time).

You have the advantage that you only have one damaged disc (I've never seen a L6S1 by the way!) so your chances at recovery are most likely great! See, my initial injury was almost 10 years ago and I wished I had got an MRI back then because now I don't know if both discs were injured back then or if it wasn't only one disc and it progressively started affecting the second disc or if both discs were injured from the get go. No i will never know!

My current goal is to work on my physician fitness and get in the best shape I can possibly can since I'm still able to workout and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, at least I'll be in good shape for recovery after surgery. Good luck to you!!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 AM

Hum, and yes, if is impacting your work in such a manner, then surgery might be the option to go (If I couldn't work, I would definitely look for surgery). I would talk to at least 2 surgeons (3 is my benchmark), would look at outcomes from the extensive resource that this forum offers us, ask questions to the most experienced members and do it! And yes, my L4-L5 facets are already bad enough not to be able to do an ADR at that level and I am 43 (I wouldn't do it anyway since my pain is very very manageable currently), but yes for ADR candidates it seems that the better your natural disc at the time of the surgery the more options you have to fix it! Best of luck!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Hi Andreh, my ADR surgeon speak the same words as if your facets are no good or not normal then dont take any chances to do ADR. As you will face a revision to fusion later. I was given ADR but after he look into my facets and said it might give me problem down the road so i have to decide myself. I guess if you do a bone scan you can find out from there. Don't take more risk rather spend more time finding a better solution as once you under go operation and it cannot be undone.

Hi badbackbeauty, sound like we are in the same boat. Ya i have an extra vertebrae which is L6 so it is not common. I agree no matter our conservative treatment is long and unsuccessful in the later stage. We will still have the best outcome after surgery as we have the best shape in condition when we went in. I currently doing rehabs more on core strength and lots of walk. I try not to lift anything heavier than 3kg and hope it will heal with some good scare tissue. I had injure the same place 3 times so my goal will hope be back to 75% my old normal. If i can't reach there, then i will go for surgery. I think we need to give a fair time like a year but i will try to give more and see if i am still having problem with my normal life.

It is hard to decide when you start to feel better and people around you feel the same. It is really tough road but we still have the last option SURGERY !!! Dont throw the towel yet !!!!