ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Default Lawyers in CT to fight for surgery?

I have finally succumbed to the fact that not only must I have the bi-level ADR surgery, I am going to have a heck of a fight ahead of me to get it done.

Are there lawyers who specialize in this sort of thing? More importantly, does anyone know if there are any in the state of CT where I live?

I have an appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Yue, on April 1st. At that time I want to discuss beginning the battle again. I am very pessimistic that the FDA will approve, and my medical insurance will begin paying, for the bi-level ADR procedure that I need anytime soon.

I've let far too much time pass hoping that something positive would happen.
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Hi JJames,
I am not sure who you wish the lawyers to fight. If it is Workers Compensation you are looking for a lawyer in CT to fight, well there aren't any. If you are looking for a lawyer to fight someone else, then there aren't any either.

The reason is there is no money in medical treatment for them. The need to get a big settlement that includes your medical then take a 1/3 and leave you with only bones and probably not enough for the medical you set out to obtain in the first place.

This may sound like I am suggesting you take no hostages, but in my final days before I got fixed I finally got tough. But not tough enough. I went to Hartford Hospital in the middle of the night in killer pain, determined not to leave. They treated me so nice, I felt like a jerk thinking of acting like one, so I took the meds and left.

That is the part I wish I to do over. I would walk into Yale Emergency and refuse to leave until someone cuts a deal. If you want a ride, call me.
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Bill,

That's a pretty pessimistic view of the legal profession you have. Darned accurate. My daughter-in-law works for DuPuy (hip and knee) in the legal department. She's a very busy person helping deflect ambulance chasers.

JJames,

In another forum you were asking about bi-level ADR. I know of a cervical study for Prestige. I believe I read about another study but can't find it now. From my observations it seems once a new procedure is studied and approved, studies start to pop up focused on other levels of the spine. I read somewhere that Medtronic intends to file a PMA for bi-level Maverick placement once their FDA approval on the A-Mav is finalized. I would imagine the other disc manufacturers are in the same mindset.

Good luck on managing your pain until you find someone who will help.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc L5/S1
4 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 5 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 L4/5 & L5/S1 Maverick disc at Stenum