ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Taxes

NJ Gene

Hopefully we can take advantage of the tax credit you mention above. We were fortunate BCBS did pay 60% of our claim, so I assume the other 40% is the amount we would use based upon your equation. Do not want to put you on the spot, but can our travel expenses be deducted as medical expense?
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM

2Confused, The answer is yes. Travel expenses directly related to going abroad for the surgery are tax deductible. The only thing not deductible are meals (except for those you had while in the hospital). I know it sounds strange. Also, don't forget that since you are eligible to deduct unreimbursed medical expenses to the extent they exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income, don't forget that any out-of-pocket expenses at home can be included (i.e. all doctor copays, prescription copays, mental health, acupuncture, massage, etc). You may as well take advantage of this deduction to the fullest extent possible.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 06-11-2013, 03:57 AM

ADR x 2,

Keep doing your homework. I think there are many US surgeons who are excellent.
I think the major difference in ADR and fusion is the risk of adjacent disc disease.
I now have two ProDiscs in my back, which as far as I know out to five years and almost two, that are acting fine. Now, I have a double cervical fusion and I really didn't have the choice of an ADR because of the degeneration of both C5/6 and C6/7.
Same surgeon, all three surgeries. I would say No. 1 priority is the surgeon. My surgeon is very well known, his office is not like an assembly line and he does both ADR and fusion. I have an appointment with him in three weeks or so and his nurse said to me if I had any questions or concerns to call them immediately. And when I call, I usually hear back the same day or next.
I think No. 2 is the device. Yes, the US is hampered because the M6 won't be FDA approved for probably a long time. Who knows how long it will take but going on usual protocol, I would say 2-5 years. I would have to look up where they are in terms of their application for FDA approval.
Get multiple opinions; it may seem confusing but I believe that is the only way you can figure out what is best for you in your particular situation.

Happy hunting...
Kimmers
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM

Kimmers,

Thank you for the advice. I agree to a point; I think the surgeon of course matters a lot, and maybe if I was 20 years older I would be far less concerned about the disc, but I think the spine is a very specific set of joints and replacing a natural disc with a ball and socket joint to me right now is a worse option than just accepting it. I think it may take awhile but eventually the unrestricted motion in a disc like the prodisc is likely to do damage to my facet joints at the very least. The Freedom Disc is the only disc I look at and have a lot of faith in, though it concerns me that I haven't read many people who have it or who have went to Dr. Rischke. That being said, he consulted with me directly via email, has good reviews and does research as well so I imagine he is a good surgeon. In the end, its risk versus reward, and I think that is the only risk I feel comfortable taking.

I have gotten opinions from 2 surgeons in the US, Dr. Rischke and Dr. Ritter-Lang. They're combined opinions filled the spectrum of possible options haha.

Gene,
I will probably take you up on a PM tomorrow! I'm going to discuss my options with a lender tomorrow. I think I can make a strong case with this information.
Kept lifting weights heavily, running daily until December when woke up with radiculopathy in right arm and constant back/neck pain.
Tried PT around March/April. No effect.
Currently consulting surgeons and trying to figure out money.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 AM

Thank you!!! I have spoken with my accountant and looks like we have some great deductions this years! Not sure we would have pressed the issue had I net been reading your posts, so THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
2Confused, The answer is yes. Travel expenses directly related to going abroad for the surgery are tax deductible. The only thing not deductible are meals (except for those you had while in the hospital). I know it sounds strange. Also, don't forget that since you are eligible to deduct unreimbursed medical expenses to the extent they exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income, don't forget that any out-of-pocket expenses at home can be included (i.e. all doctor copays, prescription copays, mental health, acupuncture, massage, etc). You may as well take advantage of this deduction to the fullest extent possible.

Gene
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Dear 2Confused and ADR, you are welcome for the tax information. ADR, I look forward to your PM. 2Confused, I'm sure you're in good hands with your accountant. However, feel free to PM me as well if you have any addditional questions.

Gene
Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 PM

Approved 14k with a cosigner, 20k with a coapplicant. If I get the loan I still need to find 13k somehow, and a coapplicant to begin with. I'll see what I can do!
Kept lifting weights heavily, running daily until December when woke up with radiculopathy in right arm and constant back/neck pain.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM

ADR,

Good luck with the financing. Did you ever send your medical information directly to Dr. Clavel using the link I previously sent you?

Gene
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM

No not yet. I think I will though. I'm pretty sure I want to do the freedom disc with Dr. Rischke. It makes me a little nervous that its much newer (no long term results at all) and I haven't seen many patients of Rischke, but in my gut it is right. But at the same time I'd be interested in at least an opinion from Clavel.