ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 AM

Thanks Juli and Kimmers.

K: I"m waiting for them to approve a new MRI requested by Regan's office. I"m sorry about this; they certainly do suck. I'm going to get Laurie's book ASAP. I"m sorry you hit the wall but maybe you can appeal?

I have not formally requested that they pay for a hybrid surgery yet. Just trying to get the ducks in line.

I might consider paying for an ADR one level out-of-pocket that would seriously hurt me financially but the idea that Regan's office telling me that it may be wise to pay for both a fusion and ADR out of pocket is a good logistic move blew me away. That is, they would deny the fusion is I had an ADR/fusion and also if they found out I had an ADR with the fusion, they could later deny paying for the fusion. Crazy..

But what matters is that you (and Juli- hi) are doing well and happy with your decisions.

I am afraid that they are here to stay. This business of demanding pre-authorizations and denying payment for particular things not ADR related seems new to me.

We must have Warren Buffet or Bill Gates adopt us.

You take care. - Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 AM

I have never had any spinal problems not covered by my insurance company after I had 4 level ADR. I had facet injections and epidurals every three months for the first year after my surgery. I also had a couple of neuro-surgical consultations to make sure the discs were installed correctly and had not subsided further.

I have Blue Cross of Michigan which has been absolutely superb to work with for my care. Not all Blue Cross is created equal. Ours is a non-profit organization that operates in the State of Michigan.

I do not believe they can deny care just because you went against them but I could be wrong. They do have a lot of power and need some Federal Regulation that will prevent some of the rampant abuses that are occurring.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 08-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Allan,

If I understand your post correctly, I would not mess with trying to pull one over on your ins company by paying for the ADR level and ONLY submitting a claim for the fusion level. That could be deemed insurance fraud, and if by chance something bad happens during your recovery, and they realize you have a hybrid you could be in trouble.

After being denied a 2 level Charite, I tried to submit a claim for hybrid (1 level fusion/ 1 level Charite) and I was denied the whole procedure because of the one level Charite. UHC/PacifiCare point blank said they would pay for a 2 level fusion but would not pay for anything if any part of my surgery involved an ADR. It seems ridiculous but it's a reality.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM

I"m glad LBP that you were able to have your desired surgery.

Thanks for your advice folks Terry and LBP.

I am too chicken to pull a fast one. It's unreal that they would deny the hybrid portion.

Be well, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 AM

Allan,

You have to be real careful on how you deal with Blue Cross/Anthem. They can collect on a bill after they already paid it, three years after the fact.
See cbsnews.com/stories on July 4, 2008, our esteemed Dept of Managed Health Care, the supposed over seer of HMOs in California, did not collect on the 1 million dollar fine against Blue Cross/Anthem.
That is one of the appeal processes for Blue Cross. They overturn something like only 20 percent of the appeals sent to them.
We don't have a chance in hell. Another fact, if you have a company policy instead of individual an attorney won't touch you (that is on a contingency basis).
If you have an Erisa policy, fat chance too (only,for a large fee (":30-45K") and at least 18 months to get a hearing, I was told).
People told me, why cannot you pay for the discs and they pay for the surgery since the approach for ADR and fusion are the same? Blue Cross won't consider it.
Other insurances, maybe.
I have heard of too many people getting fusion instead of a desired ADR, because of Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Anthem.
Several in my doc's office, because I was told, "they were just worn out from the pain".
You have to fight them at the ground level. One of the things I was told, if my husband had been part of a large group policy (more than 50 employees), i might have gotten some help.
With my policy, I think you can go to arbitration, which I haven't done. The language is very confusing.

You have to know too that my surgery was preauthorized. That does not mean anything to Blue Cross/Anthem.

I have a whole laundry list of what Anthem/Blue Cross, etc... is doing to rake in more money. They stopped paying for any surgeries in which the surgeon made a mistake, they stopped accepting transplant patients at UCLA.
UCLA is one of the best known heart transplant centers in Calif and the US. They are also a top liver transplant center, etc. Blue Cross will not take patients from there.
They signed up people for a policy supposedly for young people without health problems. They even say they will take care of the bumps and bruises, but not the major problems.

The easiest way to get ADR is get another insurance company involved. Aetna and Kaiser are two.
I have been told by my sources that the health editor at the LA Times just gets a massive amount of letters regarding insurance denial and rescision (sp?).

When I went up to San Francisco in June to protest the health insurance companies, I met a lady who because she had the misfortune to get cancer, stage 4, Blue Cross rescinded her policy.
If they can do that to cancer patients, what do you think they will do to us?

I have seen evidence if you are younger, under 30??, they might be more preferential to your plight.

The problem is Allan, is that they are so big, they get away with everything.

Feel free to PM me. I believe there are ways to beat them and I for one, don't think I will ever give up. I do believe they will go out of business. Look at Enron, and others.

You just have to really think out your strategy. Don't settle for a surgery you do not want.

Kimmers
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 AM

Hi Kimmers,

Now that's chilling. You were pre-authorized and they can collect after they paid? Now that's a new one for me!

I am in my mid-50s. Nobody likes us old codgers.

Thank you for your time and I shall PM you.

My very best ~ Allan

Postscript: I called an insurance person at another respected LA spine surgeon's office. You're so right!! They can authorize, then deny, and yes, ask for the money back! I was told there's a 50/50 chance that they'd even pay for the hybrid part. K: You operate on me.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Default Blue Cross denied fusion, need documented approvals

HI All:

I don't mean to butt in, but I am in a rather departe situation putting together an appeal to Blue Cross (Using Laurie's book and advise) for denial of a 2 level fusion.

I need to find other people that Blue Cross has approved for fusion that either had no documented spinal instability or severe pain alone was reason for approval of fusion.

I was set for a 2 level bi-lateral decompression and fusion of L1,2 and L2,3 plus laminectomy of L3 and L4, but the evening before surgery was notified by my doctors office that Anthem Blue Cross of CA had denied coverage. "Not medically necessary" because there in no clear indication of "spinal instability". 24/7 severe pain from L1,2 and L2,3, bone on bone.

I would really appreciate anyone who has been approved by blue Cross for fusion feedback. Thanks.