ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM

I've been gone what seems like ages - my computer crashed.

The Charite' rep suggested that I write a letter explaining how my life has been changed because of my back issues. I'm having a little problem with this because, as we all know - we adjust, and adjust and adjust to simply live and get by.

So, have any of you had to do a letter like this? If so, could I get some ideas on how you did this?

I was thinking of simply separating it out 3 ways, i.e. personal, work and recreation. There are just so many things I think that I used to do that I either can't or have to stop and take a break between but now those things have become the norm. I'm afraid I've forgotten what a normal life is like. Does ANY of this make sense?
PLIF L5/S1 - hdwr removed when C6/7 revision
PLIF L4/5 & Dynesys L3/4 10/10/06. Looking forward to living again.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 PM

You make perfect sense. Some suggestions: How much time out of your daily routine does dealing with your back issues take? How do your pain meds affect your functioning, energy level, etc? What effect have your pain and loss of function had on relationships (wife, kids, friends, etc)? How available have you been to assist others in need (e.g., aging parents, kids)? What chores have you been able to do and have you had to hire help? What plans for the future have you had to give up? Can you travel, go to the theater, sit and read a book, etc for extended periods? These are just some thoughts--I'm sure others will have more.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 02-06-2006, 08:48 PM

gbr,
This may seem like a daunting task, but once you begin, the thoughts may start to flow. I drafted a similar letter for the state WC appeals board. I made certain to include all aspects of my life that were affected by my injury, including emotional and psychological issues relating to the injury and living with chronic pain. I know that Paulette also wrote a letter based upon advice from an attorney.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 02-07-2006, 03:34 PM

One way to see how far you have fallen (or progressed post surgery) physically is to get out photographs over the last decade or two. As you said, it's amazing how much we adapt to our limitations and pain.....
God Bless,
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) with Prof. Dr. Reul (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 02-08-2006, 05:56 PM

Crystal, I've PM'd you.

Thank you all who responded. I am working on this letter and have taken everyone's suggestions and am compiling what I am hoping is an accurate and thourough account of what my life has been like.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:11 PM

Well, gave my final draft to my surgeon's office yesterday (after the help of a friend ), thank you!

So.....now I wait.....again!