ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM

Default considering prodisc-c

Hi. I am so glad I found this site. I have been looking for information and experiences with prodisc-c. I was injured last year at work. Radiologist report indicates" C4-C5: small central disc herniation, protrusion-type which does not exhibit any cord or nerve root contact; C5-C6: left paracentral disc herniation, moderate in size which contacts and displaces the cord on the left." I've done PT, traction, TENS, ice, heat, pain pills and muscle relaxers. I have pain with tingling and intermittent numbness in both hands, including the right thumb and between my shoulder blades, unable to work full time. Driving is terrible and I've become much less active than before.

Originally afraid of surgery, now I just want to be fixed and off the pain pills. First doctor recommended fusion and I got a second opinion from a neurosurgeon who recommended ADR at C5-C6. Insurance company has sent my case to peer review and there is no telling how long that could take. I've asked for another MRI to confirm single level in case ADR is contraindicated. Are there any other questions I should ask? For those that have had this surgery, how long did recovery take and did it relieve the pain? I do still have use of hands but there is weakness and the feeling of heavy weight pressing on me. The pain never lets up. Like many others, I just want my life back. Thanks.
Neurosurgeon recommends fusion or prodisc-c at c5-6
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zocoma View Post
Hi. I am so glad I found this site. I have been looking for information and experiences with prodisc-c.
DEL.TEXT
The "Surgical Outcome Forum" has the most information on patient experiences post-surgery.

My neighbor has a one-level ProDisc-C. She asked me for advice before making the decision of ACDF v. ADR and I was cautious with my words.

My neighbor's net result was she got her life back. She had her second child post-surgery last week.

Will your life be the same? You will not 18 years old again. Aging is a progression. Surgeons are judicious in their treatments, however, every surgery has risk. I am just a patient looking to optimize my choice(s).

The results trend for Cervical arthroplasty, disc replacement, is OK+. I listened to ~90 minutes of a video from UCSF (LINK). The video is on Low Back Pain. One of the two surgeons is P. Mummaneni, who authors a few papers, including on Cervical ADR (link). Dr. Mummaneni made a subtle comment on the higher success rate of cervical ADR / TDR compared to lumbar ADR / TDR.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM

Zocoma,

Condolences, and welcome. Many, if not most insurance companies now cover ADR for a single level. Some will even deny covering fusion in favor of covering ADR. I would certainly prefer ADR over fusion.

I had a double cervical ADR two years ago, and like Slackwater's neighbor, I am doing great and have been able to resume all pre-ADR activities. It's not the ADR that relieved my pain, but rather the decompression of the spinal cord and root nerves. The surgeon will do the same decompression whether you have ADR or fusion; so your pain should disappear either way. I felt better when I woke up after surgery than I did before they put me under. The surgical pain took a few days to subside and was completely gone in a further couple of weeks.

I would encourage you to check out your surgeon carefully before an ADR surgery. Make sure that he/she has an established record of excellent outcomes with the ProDisc. Many surgeons have poor records with them and many have good records with them. If you can't confirm an excellent track record, I'd move on to another surgeon.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Question

Zocoma, how are you doing this week? Were these replies specific enough for you to think carefully about your next steps? Have you had time to sift through some of the post-op topics?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Default hurting

Thanks for asking. I had another MRI week before last to verify levels involved and go back to the doctor on Tuesday to see what he recommends. The pain just never lets up, and I'm taking about 50-60mg of Norco a day, which is more than I'd rather take but not enough to get relief. Last weekend I considered suicide but really, I don't want to die; I just want the pain to end. That was the point at which I admit my body is really broken and can't keep doing what I'm doing. My life has been falling apart since the injury, can't work full time, barely making it part time, going through the motions just to do whatever I can. I'm ready to ask the doctor to take me out of work, but support my family. (deleted) I've read here about the reality that one can't really do a good job when in griniding pain or doped up on drugs, and I just want to do the best thing for my health, mental and physical.

For the past year, especially in the beginning, I believed this would eventually heal, and that I could just push on through, and asked my first doctor to let me stay on the job because they needed me. I did that for so long that when I finally was hopeless and ready to drop, around last November, and asked him to take me out, he said no, that the insurance company wouldn't allow it. I no longer know what is true or whom to trust. I know I'm just a liability to the insurance company and not the star employee I used to be.

Now I have no joy and walk around with the "face of pain" as my daughter calls it. I'm praying constantly, trying to keep hope, and almost always keep ice packs on my neck, such a fashion statement . If the doctor wants to do a fusion, I'd be willing to do that at this point, although do hope I am a good candidate for ADR. Does anyone have any suggestions for staying graceful through the pain?

Last edited by Harrison; 03-24-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: User-requested deletion
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Default choice of doctor

For what it's worth, my neurosurgeon was highly recommended to me by a surgical tech who said he was one of the 2 docs he'd allow to do surgery on him... This doctor participated in 2 of the FDA trials so I know he's experienced. I took my one time worker's comp. change of doctor to switch to this man, and my fate is in his hands. I do believe he's better than the original DO that the system was going to let fuse me.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, my neurosurgeon was highly recommended to me by a surgical tech who said he was one of the 2 docs he'd allow to do surgery on him... This doctor participated in 2 of the FDA trials so I know he's experienced. I took my one time worker's comp. change of doctor to switch to this man, and my fate is in his hands. I do believe he's better than the original DO that the system was going to let fuse me.
The new surgeon may choose ADR/TDR or fusion. You made a valid decision on the surgeon.

We get our advice from different places with varying levels of confidence.
The surgical tech is valid, possibly a better perspective than some others.

Other -> Alternative:
I know a fellow w/ two (2) levels fused and he practices dentistry every day.
He couldn't get up off the floor after a chiropractor adjusted him, re: neck pain.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
... my neurosurgeon was highly recommended to me by a surgical tech who said he was one of the 2 docs he'd allow to do surgery on him...
Sounds like a great recommendation from a medical professional that is "in the know".

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM

Default hang in there

Zoomca,
Hang in there.
Where are you located? I have had a hybrid procedure (one ADR and one Prodisc C). I am a fan of the prodisc. I still have some pain, but I think it is at the fusion site (I had a hybrid), but much better now and knowing I have the hardware to get me through an active life with my wonderful family.
Sounds like you have a surgeon that is up to date.
Keep us posted.
D'Ann
C6-7 disc moderately to markedly narrowed, mild retrolisthesis of c6 on c7 producing effacement of the thecal sac but no cord impingement, mild narrowing of left neural foramen;
c5-6 disc moderately narrowed, anterior and posterior disc bulge with mild anterior cord impingement;
c4-5 disc intact and normal height, potential posterior annular fissure.
Cervical hybrid surgery in Texas April 12, 2011, fusion at C6/7, Prodisc C at C5/6
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Default waiting

I'm in GA, saw my doctor yesterday who reviewed the latest MRI and still recommends ADR. All that stands between us now is approval by the insurance company. This has been going on almost a year now and I dearly want relief and normal life again. Thanks for the information and encouragement.