ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 PM

painSupport eNewsletter

Tips for the Christmas season

As we are all well aware, at Christmas-time, there are extra jobs and commitments for everyone - and, when we have pain, it can be an extra challenge. Here are a few tips to make the most of the season and to help keep your pain in the background.

Pace yourself: Space out your activities and slow down! Concentrate on doing one thing at a time. Don�t go over your limits on sitting, standing, walking. Some people find that entertaining or even talking more than usual can be tiring and stressful so if this is you, spread out your commitments!

Make shopping easier: Plan well ahead and make lists. Save your legs and use the internet or mail order for presents and food. If you need to go out shopping take several short trips rather than one long one. Go early in the day when it�s quieter and take a friend to help carry your bags if there�s no home delivery service. Write cards and wrap parcels a few at a time. See if you can get them in the post early and out of the way. Consider giving tokens or tickets for events as presents to make life easier for yourself.

Recognise when you're tired or pain is increasing: Self-monitor and remember to check yourself every now and then. Ask yourself, 'How am I feeling at the moment'?" If necessary, withdraw and take a quiet break for a while, even if it means sitting in the bathroom.

Stay cool: Christmas can be a stressful time! Avoid getting uptight or drawn in to arguments. It's a time when old grudges can rise to the surface. Be aware of your thoughts and feelings and whenever negative or irritable thoughts enter your mind gather your composure with a few slow, deep breaths to slow your system down to relaxation rather than losing control. If there is nothing you can do to calm a disagreeable situation, withdraw from the area and seek peace elsewhere. Let it float past you.

Let other help you: Don't try to take everything on yourself. Delegate or accept offers of help.

Allow for any sadness: Expectations can be high for the Christmas season. However, Christmas can also be a time of sadness, regret and low feelings. Accept and acknowledge any low points about your life. And then also acknowledge and concentrate upon the increasing strength you are gradually developing as a result. For example, the way you may be starting to use some of the skills from the 'Tool Kit' techniques I've been sending you in Newsletters or from the painSupport website. If you are new to this, do take a look at the painSupport site, the 'Pain Relief' pages are useful. Give yourself praise for any steps forward you are making.

Relaxation: Much pain is caused by muscle tension so take time out for relaxation or to listen to peaceful music. Come into the present and concentrate on deep, slow breathing for a calming effect.

Fresh air and Exercise: Remember your exercise routine and keep to it as far as possible, though a couple of days off won�t hurt. Do some stretches before activity. Get plenty of fresh air, get everyone out for Christmas walks, you�ll all feel better for it.

First Aid Kit: Remember: �ice is nice� for pain and inflammation! Use an ice pack or cold compress for pain flare-ups. Alternate with a warm compress or hot water bottle. If you normally use a sitting cushion and back support, if you go visiting remember to take them with you.

Join in with the festivities as far as you are able. Concentrate on what you can do during the season and let go thoughts about what you can�t or would like to do. Negative thoughts and feeling sorry for yourself are not helpful to you or anyone else.

Watch temptation! There�s often a lot more temptation around at Christmas time! Remember that some pain medications don't mix with alcohol. If possible, plan ahead what you will eat and drink, you will then be more inclined to stay within your limits.

Loving and Giving: We can lose sight of it, but Christmas is all about loving and giving. The more you love and the more you give (and we�re not talking about material things, like presents) the more love and generosity of spirit you will receive back from others. When you give out love, you aren�t �giving it away�, you retain a �copy� of it for yourself, so when you love, you feel filled with love, when you give, you feel filled with a spirit of generosity. Each day over Christmas ask yourself what you will do to make the day enjoyable for both you and for others � and make sure you do it.

Smile and Enjoy Christmas: Keep a half-smile on your lips. This sends messages of calmness to your subconscious mind which passes the messages on to your body. You don't even have to feel like smiling for this to happen. Smile - and let your body and mind do the rest.

Have a very Happy Christmas!

By the way, please note that the PainSupport Discussion Forum is closed for the holidays until the beginning of 2006. The topics can still be read, but you are not able to make any more postings for the moment.

All good wishes to everyone

Jan
www.painsupport.co.uk
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 12-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Wonderful words of wisdom. Now, if I can only make my myself listen to my body and not overdo it, instead of listening to my heart and brain which both think they need to everything and do it perfectly. When the heart and brain win, the body always pays for it dearly.

Thanks Alistar. Great post.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:53 AM

Here's my tip: Let someone else shovel the snow.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:20 PM

In lovely sunny CA, I don't have to worry about shoveling snow and I finished all of my Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Alastair, I'll also add that the Internet is perfect for shopping and gift cards are extremely easy to lift and send. Cheers!
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."