ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:57 AM

Default Hi Everyone. I'm new...

...and of course I've got some questions. First of all, this is a great board that I"m thrilled to find. I've been reading and reading and found some really helpful stuff!

I"m a 38 yr old female in TN, USA. I've had back problems for around 5 years that have really gotten bad in the last 2 or 3. I finally started seeking help about a year and a half ago. The orthosurgeon I saw pretty much made light of my issue and felt my DDD at L5/S1 (determined via MRI) was no big deal. He referred me to an anesthesiologist who did help me for a while. But, over 12 injections later, they've now stopped working. I've had regular epidurals, facet injections, and nerve burning twice (RF lesioning). A few months ago I finally moved on to a neurosurgeon who I really like. He did all the regular stuff first (again) to no avail. Finally, about a month ago I had a positive discogram. My neurosurgeon does not do ADR and seems completely unknowledgeable about it as well. He recommends fusion and is ready to operate whenever I want.

My good friend in Atlanta had ADR by Dr. Osborn 2 years ago. I'm trying to work out a date to make that 8 hour drive and go and have a consult with him. I'm also searching for another physician here so that I can have a few opinions. In the meantime, I'm just trying to control my pain which is always there. Sometimes the pain is as low as a 3/10, most of the time it is at a 5-6/10. Pain meds usually control it to a 3/10 (Loratab 10). My pain though wakes me up all night and I also often have pain in my left heel/foot.

Anyway, in my research here, I've seen a couple comments about ADR not being available to those with facet problems. Can anyone elaborate about that? I've looked around on here for more information, but cannot find it. I don't know if I have facet disease or not and am going back to both my neurosurgeon and anesthesiologist this week to ask about it. All I know is that my anesthesiologist has commented that my facets seem bad which is why in the past he has done facet injections. And while injections were helpful in the past, they haven't been lately and my last facet injection 2 months ago did not help at all.

My other question is related to chiropractors. In desperation, I finally went to one last week. He feels he can help me and is manually stretching me out and "spreading apart" my vertebrae in hopes that disc will stop bulging so much and relieve some pain. That seems to make sense and I *think* it may be helping just a bit. But, I wondered what people here think about chiropractors.

I guess that's it for now.

Kindest Regards,

talaine
(Teressa)
Old 11-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Teressa:

Welcome to our little group; unfortunately. The reason I say that is, it took pain and being uncomfortable to get you here.

As far as chiropractic care I always supported it until my DDD got to the point of having major surgery (4 level ADR) and I have not went back to them. I think they are good at what they do within limits. Sometimes some of them try to go beyond the scope of what they are trained to do and can do harm in the process. If you have one trying to sell you vitamins or other supplements; run as fast as you can. They want your money.

As far as ADR with facet disease it depends on how bad your facet issues are. I had mild facet arthritis prior to my ADR surgery. I am over two years out from thie surgery and am doing pretty well. Please share with us your MRI report to hear about the facet diagnosis.

Again, welcome to our little group. There is a lot of support here from people that have been there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 11-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Terry,

Thank you for your reply! I'm waiting for my medical record copies to come this week. I do have the CT scan report following my discogram and it says this:

FINDINGS:
There is a small diffuse disc bulge at the level of L4-5. Contrast has been injected into the disc for performance of a discogram. Most of the contrast from the discogram is pooled within the region of the nucleus. There is some contrast which extends to the posterior margin of the disc at this level. There is no extravasation of contrast.

There is marked decreased disc space height at the level of L5-S1. Contrast has been injected into the disc at the level of L5-S1. There is a large amount of extravasation of contrast inot the left L5-S1 lateral recess, neural foramen, and anterior of the left sacral ala.

Vaccum changes noted within the SI joints bilaterally.

IMPRESSION:
Discogram performed at the levels of L4-5 and L5-S1 with large amount of contrast within the epidural space a the level of L5-S1 and within the left L5-S1 neural foramen and anterior to the left sacaral ala.

No evidence of extravasation of contrast at th elevel of L4-5.

I don't know if that info is helpful, but when I get the complete set of medical records this week I will post any additional findings from my MRI or other paperwork.

Thank you for the kind wishes and post Terry.

Teressa
Old 11-10-2008, 11:22 PM

The decreased disc height at L5-S1 and subsequent nerve encroachment sounds like the most likely suspect. The bulge at the level above sounds like it could turn problematic and may be best dealt with at the same time as the lower level. I hear nothing that says anything about facet issues? Was that said verbally?

Like I said before that facet issues, if minor, should not prevent good treatment of your spine. It will be good to hear the MRI report.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5

Last edited by Terry; 11-10-2008 at 11:25 PM.