ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestletea View Post
After going through a horrible experience with Florida Blue, I have decided on Dr. Clavel! He truly is an amazing surgeon and his assistant Yolanda is phenomenal to work with. She has literally booked everything for me, except flights. I am thrilled with my decision and will leave for Spain and have surgery on March 15th.
I thought you liked Dr.Rolando. What happened?
08.16.2018 - L4S1 ADR - LP-ESP performed in Germany
Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Default Dr. Rolando Garcia

I had my heart set on Rolando Garcia, but Florida Blue denied the procedure. I could not afford his cost without insurance. I feel truly blessed to have been able to use Dr. Clavel in Spain. He truly is a miracle worker.
1/16/2017 - Cervical Radiofrequency Lesioning
3/15/2017 - Dr. Pablo Clavel: Cervical Disc Revision C5/C6 (M6-C) and Lumbar Disc Replacement (M6-L)
Old 05-19-2018, 04:11 PM

If you still come on this board (it looks to me like a lot of people are gone just hen I need answers) do you mind telling me what tipped you away from ONZ and to Clavel for your overseas ADR? Thanks
2018 - cervical MRI - 4 level cord compression and massive foraminal stenosis
present - researching options for a non-fusion solution
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Default Clavel

I did a ton of research on surgical outcomes. Clavel always came out ahead. I also was able to speak with several individuals in the states that used Clavel and has great success stories. He really is a miracle worker! I am just over a year post surgery and am 95% back to my normal self! Barcelona and Hospital Quiron Salud are beautiful. Clavel was very patient and answered all of my questions. The other options were more about the money and seeing how many surgeries they can push through each day. Clavel limits himself to two international surgeries per day. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions. I have not been on this board in a long time. However, I feel like I am here to help and it is my calling.
3/15/2017 - Dr. Pablo Clavel: Cervical Disc Revision C5/C6 (M6-C) and Lumbar Disc Replacement (M6-L)
Old 05-26-2018, 12:47 AM

Thanks Nestletlea

How were the night nurses when you were there, were they prompt with your pain meds? I just heard a horror story from someone there now about a total lack of care from the night time hospital staff. Many of us contacted Yolanda about and I am hoping she and Dr Clavel are looking into it.
2018 - cervical MRI - 4 level cord compression and massive foraminal stenosis
present - researching options for a non-fusion solution
Old 05-30-2018, 07:31 AM

Default Clavel Nurses

I am going to be honest - the nursing care was definitely subpar when it came to pain management. I had been on so many pain medications before going that I am not sure how well they could have controlled my pain. However, I ended up on the overflow floor and the nurses did not speak any English. It would take hours to get medications and I was in tears. I did write a letter to the Hospital and also spoke in depth to Yolanda and Dr. Clavel about my experience. They were extremely apologetic. Just like in the states, you have to stay on top of the medications given. I wrote everything down. At one point, they had a shift change and tried to double medicate me. Luckily, the translator was in the room at that point and stopped the error. They do not scan in meds into a computer system like they do in the US, so you are depending on paper pencil record keeping. Even as poor as the nursing care was, I would go back in a heartbeat, if I ever had back or neck issues again.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 PM

I would agree with Nestletea. Dr Clavel is great. When I went, Yolanda was on maternity leave, so I had no one to talk with. I refused any extra pain meds except what is in the IV. After being in so much pain for years, I just really wanted to quit taking meds. The good thing is the translator is there, the bad, she was only there the first night. After that, I can definitely see how things can get out of control. When it was time for me to leave, no one came into the room to get me, so I went down to the nurses station to get the IV removed. Granted, I could have waited longer, but I am an whole that way, and I just wanted to get the heck out. I have been in hospitals here in the states, my fusion was done here and other things, and while the staff is not as attentive, I would go back to Clavel. I just prefer a doctor that talks to you like a person and not a patient.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 05-31-2018, 04:00 PM

i felt that nursing care was at least as good as in the US and I didn't speak any Spanish. My night translator was a very nice young college student but she basically could sleep through a freight train. Finally the nurses had to come - which they didn't immediately come because they relied on the translator in the room connected to mine. But I didn't need any pain killers for my 3 level other than steroids and NSAIDS- I was just freezing from the AC and needed it turned down! Once you estasblish a relationship, even with the help of google translate, you find that these folks are very caring and warm - don't worry, they won't let you suffer. I went there alone, with hibernating translator for just one night (she asked if she could skip the second night to go out with her friends- why not? I wish I was going along...)
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona