ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:56 PM

Default Ritter-Lang and Stenum vs. Bertagnoli/M6 vs Activ-L

As I continue to research, the waters seem to get muddier and muddier. Has anyone had a good outcome with Ritter-Lang? It seems that the bad reviews are older posts. Is there anyone that has recently utilized him? How was the experience/outcome?

Then I move to Bertagnoli - he sounds like a brilliant surgeon with tons and tons of experience. However, he is using the prodisc L. This is even behind the US approval of Activ-L. I realize that he holds the patent for the prodisc, but am wondering why he wouldn't be utilizing the newer FDA device?

Finally, the endless research on M6-L vs. a disc that does not need to be placed with cutting into the spine for placement. Although the activ-L is semi-constrained, it is looking like it might be a better option than the less constrained M6-L. ADR surgery at L5/S1 looks as though it is a much more difficult decision.

I am a researched based person who holds a masters degree and this is absolutely driving me crazy. I would appreciate any clarification anyone has.
1/16/2017 - Cervical Radiofrequency Lesioning
3/15/2017 - Dr. Pablo Clavel: Cervical Disc Revision C5/C6 (M6-C) and Lumbar Disc Replacement (M6-L)
Old 12-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Don't know if you already found the answers in other posts, but there was one thing I wanted to mention. If a surgeon brags about doing ADR in less than an hour operation, it should raise some red flags regarding the quality of the operation. Operation time is typically three hours, about, so I doubt there would be a surgeon so "superior" that he can do it three to four times as fast without cutting corners...
Old 12-19-2016, 10:00 PM

Default Re: surgeon choice

I have narrowed my search down to Bierstedt or Clavel. Do you have any insight on these two surgeons?
3/15/2017 - Dr. Pablo Clavel: Cervical Disc Revision C5/C6 (M6-C) and Lumbar Disc Replacement (M6-L)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Wink

Use the advanced search -- you will find hundreds of posts.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-22-2016, 12:57 AM

My surgery was quick for a 3 level lumbar hybrid. 1 hr 45 minutes. My surgical notes had my upper two disectomies being done at the same time at 3/4/5 with ronguers. Then halo was lifted up and reset almost like a second surgery for the L5/S1 fusion. Fast work.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Default Bierstedt, Clavel, Ritter-Lang, Bertagnoli, Zeegers - Reached out Individually

I have done a ton of research and been able to compile what I have learned about each of the surgeons listed above:

Ritter-Lang - I have completely taken him off of my list. His surgery prediction is one hour and I have read many many negative reviews. His assistant for the US is very persistent and calls to check in. His quote was great, but it sounds more like an assembly line. He implants the M6-L.

Zeegers - He sounds like an amazing surgeon and spoke to me on the phone after I put in a request for him to review my medical records. I keep reading reviews that he provides the "perfect diagnosis." However, many individuals have lost money and never received his evaluation. He sounds brilliant, but I refuse to be out $1000 and not get a timely response. He implants the ActivL.

Bertagnoli - I have also removed him from my list of potential surgeons. He developed the prodisc-L. When I inquired if he would be willing to implant the Activ-L, he said he would, but has strong reservations regarding this disc. Then I received a voicemail from his US assistant stating that ActivL basically stole his design and they are extremely similar.

That narrows it down to Bierstedt and Clavel. Bierstedt's pricing is great and he is more than willing to implant the ActivL instead of the M6. His post-op treatments are amazing and I have read great success stories. Clavel's last response was that he really prefers the M6-L and never answered me as to whether he would implant the ActivL.

So here is something scary I have learned from all of my overseas evaluations:

I had an evaluation completed by James Yue for ActivL and Rolando Garcia for ActivL. They co-developed the disc together. Both said that I look like a good candidate, but did bring up the concern that I have had 2 c-sections and a hysterectomy, which can make the anterior approach much more difficult. These procedures were listed on all of my evaluations for Germany/Spain and not one of them mentioned any possible complications due to these prior surgeries. I have e-mailed them each back again ask their perspectives.

For now, my number 1 option is Dr. Rolando Garcia in Miami Florida to perform a lumbar disc replacement with the ActivL at L5/S1. I am most impressed with his research, his experience, and expertise! Dr. Garcia also talked about M6 failures that have occurred in the lumbar region, where the artificial disc has actually failed.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Hi, I will combine this topic with another one in the same forum. This will help reduce clutter and help others respond to your topics.

(now merged)
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 PM

Default Decided on Clavel

After going through a horrible experience with Florida Blue, I have decided on Dr. Clavel! He truly is an amazing surgeon and his assistant Yolanda is phenomenal to work with. She has literally booked everything for me, except flights. I am thrilled with my decision and will leave for Spain and have surgery on March 15th.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 PM

Awesome news! Good luck.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 AM

Good luck! It took me a couple of years to decide, and this support group helped me a lot (actually a lot is an understatement, so many great patients that did a lot of research that help you in your decision making process). I have also chosen Clavel for my cervical adr (between 2 fusions). I am schedule for march 6th. I've been to 2 already mentioned names in this websites and I have the impression that currently Clavel is one of our best choices there. I am sure there are many gifted surgeons on our planet, but for now I would stick with Clavel!