ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Ritter Lang or Dr Clavel

Love to hear people's experiences with either doctor. I am having a hard time deciding on which one to go to for a level 3 ADR, focusing on L5 L4 S1 regions. I have found nothing but positive for Dr Clavel and have heard a few negative reviews of Ritter Lang between 2002 to 2009 time frame but since then he has been quite popular and a little cheaper overall.

Thoughts anyone? or you think either is a good choice and just pick the one I feel more connected to?
L4-L5
L5-S1
Considering ADR Procedure This Year
Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM

Well there are several posts about Ritter Lang that alarm me, I know of a woman who had surgery with him and while she was still in Germany the disc collapsed and came apart. If I remember correctly she was taken back in and x rays were done etc but she was told there was nothing wrong.

Years down the line the disc is still collapsed, she has had her scans looked at by other surgeons and there has been confirmation that the disc was placed incorrectly. She's got nowhere with Enande/Ritter Lang and that's that.

However hundreds if not thousands have used him and had amazingly good results.... All surgeons can make mistakes, it's how they are dealt with that counts.

There is very little wrong to say about Clavel, I have read on here someone who was still in pain well after surgery, Clavel looked at this scans again and couldn't see anything wrong, and basically said sorry but that's how it is... It wasn't me and I'm not Clavel, so maybe there was nothing else he could do, but the original poster wasn't overly impressed.

Other than that I've found very little to say badly about Clavel, he's clearly and amazing surgeon, he's also a nice guy I believe, and I know he does charity work in the form of surgery etc in Africa....

I would have no doubts about using Clavel, I wouldn't use Ritter Lang.... Just my view, other people may well say differently!!

08.16 - Back/sciatica problems arose (what I class as the start of life changing problems in day to day life)

10.16 - After signifcant recovery problems arose again and life has never been the same since

02.17 - L4/5 Small bulge, L5/S1 small protrusion confirmed by MRI, L5/S1 pressed on sciatic nerve but no significant compression noted.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:38 PM

Smile

If you are looking at going to Germany for artificial disc replacement, I would recommend looking up neurosurgeon Axel Jung at Beta Klinik. He is an excellent surgeon and worked together with Zeegers for many years.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 PM

thanks guys for your thoughts
I liked Clavel as I had a skype session with him. I am just getting in contact with Ritter Lang now just to see what he says, be nice to see 1. if they both agree one what needs to be done. Then I can decide on which one to use. Prices are similar though Germany seems to give you a longer hotel stay included while Spain just gives you 5 days in hospital and you are on your own. Germany gives you 16 days combination of both hospital and hotel stays which is nice.

I have only found a couple negative reviews on Ritter lang but that was before 2009 when an older disc was being used but since then he has been pretty spotless with his reviews and Clavel I could not find anything. They are probably both great doctors and there is always that chance that something will go wrong,

I never heard of the other doctor mentioned so will look into him as well, I have a feeling that either doctor will be just fine, but always got that nagging feeling in your brain that i should be sure on who i pick
L4-L5
L5-S1
Old 10-04-2017, 07:43 PM

Another vote for Clavel
April 2017 L5 /S1 and L4 L5 2 level M6-L ADR. Dr Clavel, Spain
Old 10-07-2017, 03:28 AM

Exclamation Research carefully before deciding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
I have only found a couple negative reviews on Ritter lang but that was before 2009 when an older disc was being used but since then he has been pretty spotless with his reviews and Clavel I could not find anything. They are probably both great doctors and there is always that chance that something will go wrong,
I am sorry. I don't want to be rude, but if you only found a couple of negative reviews, your internet search was, in my opinion, not complete. I think there should be much more out there, that is, unless they have already been censured out. They spend a huge amount of money on marketing and search engine optimization (more than any other spine clinic?).
Even the first hit on google is a video, where the guys final words are, quote:
"My goal is to make sure noone ever, ever, goes to Stenum hospital, ever again."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NZ47SKWqw

I even watched the marketing videos that the hospital themselves put up. First of all, they use patients that are fresh out of surgery and probably still on heavy medication. Sure, it is easy to get them to confess that they are "happy", since they have no clue on what is their actual final outcome. Second, even the videos featuring long-term patients don't seem to be so pain-free after all. I recall, in one of their marketing video, a woman who was emphasizing how important it is to keep up with the daily physiotherapy after surgery. Once again, I don't want to be rude, but if the best patient outcome of the hospital still requires daily physiotherapy to survive, I would be utterly scared of how the worst outcome is doing...

Additionally, this guy brags on his website on how fast he can do the surgery. This further highlights the attitude of patients being objects on a conveyor belt, to be dealt with swiftly and dispatched...

I really want to help you make the best decision...
Old 10-08-2017, 01:23 PM

I welcome all comments positive and negative. I am not looking for the fastest or the cheapest, just looking for the best for me. Ritter Lang was off my radar but recent events have brought him back into the fold, mostly because there are two people in my city that I have met and talked to, one had a 2 level lumbar replacement and the other a 3 and both were very happy with their treatment, they recovery and there results, one is only a couple months post op while the other is a few years, plan to talk to them more this week as our initial discussions were brief

As for research , Internet is really crappy in my opinion for quality research on doctors, sometimes its hard to distinguish people being upset over a bad surgery or a surgery that didnt get them the results they wanted. I am not rushing into anything but am also not wanting to wait too much longer for my decision. Am I still leaning one way? yes I am Dr Clavel I am still leaning too, but probably because I have actually talked to him face to face (skype) but am looking to do research Ritter Lang as well and the other options that have been supplied to me.

Its a big decision and it makes it harder to do when you are quite nervous to do the operation at all, spent all my life hearing don't do a back operation from Canadian doctors as it will be a worse decision or wait till your screaming in pain or so bad it is time to fuse, but as i research ADR seems like a pretty good option if done correctly of course.
L4-L5
L5-S1
Old 02-08-2018, 08:07 PM

Default Did you have surgery?

Have you had your surgery? If yes, how did it go? How are you feeling? And who did you end up choosing?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Wink I agree with Blizzaga

I don't need to quote what you said above, I agree with your post Blizzaga. And if cheaper is not the focus then why mention it. There is enough information about Stenum that deciding on Dr. Clavel is a no brainer.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 PM

Dorian,
I'm looking at options for a 2 level lumbar surgery. Did you have your surgery and how was your recovery. I'm currently approved for a 2 level in Germany.
Thanks,
Sue