ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Default Pre op procedure with Dr Clavel

This is not strictly post op but I have no idea where else to post this and I'll be post op in a week anyway

My question is about the pre op process. Those of you who have been to Barcelona could you give me a list of what they did at your pre op meeting and how long it all took please? I would like to have some idea of what's in store for me before I get there.

Thanx.
2008 MRI L4/5 annular tear
2009 MRI L3/4 extruded fragment/bulge/fibrosis/tear Laminectomy L3/4
2010 MRI L3/4 protrusion/extruded L4/5 bulge/protrusion
2011 MRI L3/4 bulge/annular fissure L4/5 bulge/annular fissure L5/S1 bulge
2012 MRI L3/4 protrusion L4/5 bulge Nerve Block L3/4/5
6/5/13 L3/L4/L5/S1 Dr Clavel NO MORE BACK PAIN
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Hi Sonja,

If I remember right it was,... blood test, chest x ray, EKG and consultation with Dr. Clavel.

~Buckeyeback
July 17th 2013: L4/5 bone spur removal with Dr. Clavel
April 2019: L5/S1 Microdiscectomy/Foraminotomy
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 PM

Sonja,

I did my pre-op in California . I don't know how different it is. I went in the day before (sames as Barcelona) I saw a physician that my surgeon made an appointment with . He went over my general health, medications and what I was getting done. He examined me ; blood pressure , EKG, and took my temperature . They really want to make sure your not sick since they have you go in the day before.

Then he sent me to the hospitial for a complete blood work -up. Whatever that is for and what they were checking out. Since I was so anxious I didn't want to know. Sometimes , they want you to donate blood and do a cross-type.

I know how you feel . I was filled with anxiety . I even got a script of Valium the week before or so of my surgery. Maybe your medical doctor can give you some if you think I need it. It sure helped me ! It's ok if you do just to get you through this scary and challenging time! You'll do great!

Tammi
Cervical compression with clinical myelopathy with Hoffman's
Tests; MRI's, EMG/NC studies, discogram, CT scan
Pain management; tens unit, ice and heat, physical therapy, chiropratic care, and spinal epidural treatments.
Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Ohio external third party approved Pro-C ADR at C 5-6 on 4/3/13
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM

Thanx guys,
Blood tests, EKGs X-rays, consults ..... No wonder it takes most of the day!

I'm gonna be pretty hungry that's for sure, no food after midnight the day we arrive, all day next at pre op, no food from midnight that day as op next day and in the afternoon to boot!

They pick us up at the apartment 7:30am both days, jet lag, what jet lag? Obviously won't have time for it lol.

Tammi I have Valium for the spasms in my legs but won't take any the day of the tests as I don't want to give a false EKG. I'm on blood meds as it is, I think I am more scared they will tell me I can't have the surgery for some reason than actually having the surgery

3 days now till we fly out, panicking? Whose panicking? Oh yeah, that will be me then
2008 MRI L4/5 annular tear
2009 MRI L3/4 extruded fragment/bulge/fibrosis/tear Laminectomy L3/4
2010 MRI L3/4 protrusion/extruded L4/5 bulge/protrusion
2011 MRI L3/4 bulge/annular fissure L4/5 bulge/annular fissure L5/S1 bulge
2012 MRI L3/4 protrusion L4/5 bulge Nerve Block L3/4/5
6/5/13 L3/L4/L5/S1 Dr Clavel NO MORE BACK PAIN
Old 05-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Sonja,

I did everything here, sent copies over & took hard copies with me. Blood Tests, Xrays, MRI's, Bone Density, etc...

Good Luck!
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 AM

Sonja,

Just think when your scared , think of me and that your not alone. I broke out in hives when they told me( before I went in for surgery at 2 p.m.) that I would stay in ICU after my surgery. What? Why didn't you tell me this yesterday? The examining physician had to leave his practice which was across the street to sign some forms to give me Ativan to calm me down. It's a funny story now but it wasn't at the moment.

I said, I'm sorry doctor but I'm really anxious. I have anxiety and this surgery is REALLY making me extra anxious. So, the doctor felt the only safe med before mysurgery was Ativan.

I was also anxious because I couldn't eat nor drink since midnight and it was now 2 pm. The nurse couldn't get an IV in (4x's she tried) because (duh) I was dehydrated and my veins weren't showing at all! Usually, when I give blood the nurses all say I have good veins and you can REALLY see them through my skin but you couldn't then because I became so dehydrated.

It is stressful! It is scary for most people! Trust me , if I can do it you can! It will be worth it in the end. You can do it!! I'm rooting for you!

Tammi
Pain management; tens unit, ice and heat, physical therapy, chiropratic care, and spinal epidural treatments.
Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Ohio external third party approved Pro-C ADR at C 5-6 on 4/3/13
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 AM

Sonja,

Just think when your scared , think of me and that your not alone. I broke out in hives when they told me ( before I went in for surgery at 2 p.m.) that I would stay in ICU after my surgery. What? Why didn't you tell me this yesterday? The examining physician had to leave his practice, to calm me down, which was across the street to sign some forms to give me Ativan . It's a funny story now but it wasn't at the moment.

I said, I'm sorry doctor but I'm really anxious. I have anxiety and this surgery is REALLY making me extra anxious. So, the doctor felt the only safe med before my surgery was Ativan.

I was also anxious because I couldn't eat nor drink since midnight and it was now 2 pm. The nurse couldn't get an IV in (4x's she tried) because (duh) I was dehydrated and my veins weren't showing at all! Usually, when I give blood the nurses all say I have good veins and you can REALLY see them through my skin but you couldn't then because I became so dehydrated.

It is stressful! It is scary for most people! Trust me , if I can do it you can! It will be worth it in the end. You can do it!! I'm rooting for you!

Tammi
Old 05-31-2013, 12:52 AM

sorry for the double post ..
Tammi
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 AM

I too did everything preop in the states with my pcp who orders everything that I need done....one less cost overseas....I sent all the results via email and took hard copies as backup....pack some warm cloths Sonja as it barely made into the 60's today....I'm from Texas and it doesn't get into the 60's at night never mind the high for the day )
2012-5th & 6th Dr. Opionion=ADR
Dexa Scan
Metal Alergy Test
May 17, 2012---L4/5 ADR, M6-L, Dr. Clavel
Barcelona Spine Center
Old 05-31-2013, 01:11 PM

I went in at 7:30AM and they did the blood test within about 45mins, then a chest X-ray which took 15 seconds, then the AKG, it took about 15 minutes, then the consultation with Clavel, had to wait for about 20 minutes to see him then then it took about 20 minutes with him, by this time it was about 11:00, we had to wait 2 hrs to meet with the anesthesiologist because he was in surgery, that took about 15-20 minutes and we were off to see more of the city. So 7:30-2:00 is how long it took for my pre-op stuff but it would have been 2 hrs shorter if he had not been in a surgery.