ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:55 AM

Default Jeremy New member

Hi Everyone,
I just became aware of ADR surgery last June 2015 and I found ADRsupport.org around the same time. For several years I thought my only option was posterior fusion.
Thank you Richard for this site and to all of you who post information, I learn something new every time I visit here.
45 years old. Several years of weight lifting caused DDD to L4, L5-S1, since 2005. My MRI last month July 2015 report is:
L2-3: Unremarkable.
L3-4: Unremarkable.
L4-5: Mild spinal canal narrowing is noted due to bulging disc and facet Joint hypertrophy.
L5-S1: Mild spinal canal narrowing is noted due to focal central disc protrusion and facet joint hypertrophy.
According to the MRI it looks like L5-S1 disc is significantly flat and without much light in the disc which shows moisture. Pain is very distracting at times, mostly to left lower back and radiates down left leg. I have only talked with my primary care doctor, recommended aggressive physical therapy. Unfortunately I am about seven years beyond that stage.
Looking at ADR options.
Jeremy
2010–Last straw, moving furniture, severe lower left back muscle spasms the next day. MRI. Tried decompression and physical therapy-no help.
2015–MRI-L4-5: Mild spinal canal narrowing is noted due to bulging disc and facet joint hypertrophy. L5-S1: Mild spinal canal narrowing is noted due to focal central disc protrusion and facet joint hypertrophy.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:00 PM

Sorry you're here Jeremy, but glad you've found us. Similar situation although I'm postop. I'm 46. Weightlifter since 12 years old. Went to Spain last year. 3 level lumbar.

Exciting stuff...

Ask me anything.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 AM

Weight's screwed me up too.

and I like Drew I had a 3 level in Spain. Shoot any questions you have.

Note since your issues SEEM to be limited to L5-S1 - get confirmation if you can - you MAY be okay with just a fusion so don't rule that out. Personally if I had the choice (which I did) I would opt for ADR as recovery is faster and prognosis is generally better.

Good luck.

-Jeff
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 08-13-2015, 04:27 PM

Welcome. I also have had issues at the L5-S1. I had a fusion last year and am doing great. I didn't want to get the Prodisc, plus I have osteopenia which made me nervous. I had horrible left leg pain, sciatica.Charlie horses in the left leg and spasms in both feet. My surgeon recommended the fusion due to all the severe symptoms I was having. The Charlie horses were so intense, I would pass out due to the pain. If I had opted for an artificial disc, he didn't think all the symptoms would go away. It was the best decision I made. I am running 10-15 miles per day and have no more sciatica, Charlie horses or spasms in the feet.

I recommend you do your research. Talk to your surgeon and make your decision based on your symptoms and what your surgeon recommends. The good news is that the Active-L has been approved or you could go to Europe and get the M6. Best of luck to you!
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 PM

I think one of the best things you can do after lumbar surgery is to get your legs moving correctly. Power to you CB. My MT recommended a stationary bike, less impact on the joints.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 PM

colorado babe,

Good points. I will keep them in mind. Your experience is invaluable.

Thanks for assisting me on my new journey.

Jeremy

08-13-2015, 01:27 PM
colorado babe

Welcome. I also have had issues at the L5-S1. I had a fusion last year and am doing great. I didn't want to get the Prodisc, plus I have osteopenia which made me nervous. I had horrible left leg pain, sciatica.Charlie horses in the left leg and spasms in both feet. My surgeon recommended the fusion due to all the severe symptoms I was having. The Charlie horses were so intense, I would pass out due to the pain. If I had opted for an artificial disc, he didn't think all the symptoms would go away. It was the best decision I made. I am running 10-15 miles per day and have no more sciatica, Charlie horses or spasms in the feet.

I recommend you do your research. Talk to your surgeon and make your decision based on your symptoms and what your surgeon recommends. The good news is that the Active-L has been approved or you could go to Europe and get the M6. Best of luck to you!
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
2010–Last straw, moving furniture, severe lower left back muscle spasms the next day. MRI. Tried decompression and physical therapy-no help.
2015–MRI-L4-5: Mild spinal canal narrowing is noted due to bulging disc and facet joint hypertrophy. L5-S1: Mild spinal canal narrowing is noted due to focal central disc protrusion and facet joint hypertrophy.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 PM

Drewrad / JeffR

I was hoping the weightlifters would back me up.

I will definitely need your experience and help.

I am currently looking into insurance options, can be complicated. Also, my first opinion will be from a spine surgeon in my area.

Thanks for assisting me on my new journey.

Jeremy

08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
drewrad

Sorry you're here Jeremy, but glad you've found us. Similar situation although I'm postop. I'm 46. Weightlifter since 12 years old. Went to Spain last year. 3 level lumbar.

Exciting stuff...

Ask me anything.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

drewrad View Public Profile Send a private message to drewrad Find all posts by drewrad Add drewrad to Your Contacts

08-13-2015, 06:54 AM
JeffR

Weight's screwed me up too.

and I like Drew I had a 3 level in Spain. Shoot any questions you have.

Note since your issues SEEM to be limited to L5-S1 - get confirmation if you can - you MAY be okay with just a fusion so don't rule that out. Personally if I had the choice (which I did) I would opt for ADR as recovery is faster and prognosis is generally better.

Good luck.

-Jeff
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012

Old 08-14-2015, 11:43 PM

Default Please help with advise

Dear All:
I am not sure if I can afford to go to Spain. My insurance may not cover M6 device. I have BCBS of Georgia (PPO) plan. I contacted Dr. Petine (Colardao Babe) has success with and waiting for his reply.
In the meantime, I am suffering from severe pain on my cervical spine. I do not know what medication to take. My pain doctors has not been very cooperatives. I get a few hour relief with chiropractor treatment and then my pain is back to where I was. It is sever migraine which starts on the musceles in the facet and go behind the ear upto the face on the left side behind the eyes and on the left side of the forehead.
I minimize the use of valium by taking as needed.
Please help with your suggestions, while I wait for a good doctor to get my evaluation and understand if fusion or ADR is my best treatment option.
I am a teacher and I have to go and teach starting this Fall. Please you all pray for me.
Thank You
Shawn (Atlanta, GA)

C5/C6 broad based osteophytes, disc herniation at C5 and ferominal stenosis most severe at these two levels.
C3---I have retrolisthesis with mild stenosis
C4--mild stenosis
C1 and C2 are normal
Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 PM

Stay stong and know that there are options available to you. I am healing rather nicely. I still am able to do quite a lot of exercises although lifting heavy weights is not one of them. I do however still go to the gym and am able to perform non-axial loading exercises. Adapt/adjust then move on.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 AM

drewrad,

I just submitted a request for a consultation-opinion with Dr. Clavel through his website at the Barcelona spine center.
Pain is getting distracting. Although, when I keep my oblique's and lower abs exorcised with bench tricep extensions somehow it temporarily stabilizes L4-L5 for a few days, reducing pain quite a bit. Just buying myself some time. Your right I will never perform axial impact loading again.
Thanks,

Jeremy