ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share briefly how well the whole trip went. After raining for 3 weeks straight (after all, it was still the rainy season), the morning of our son's wedding, I woke up at 5:30 am, to an incredible, sunny day. Every day after that was sunny and spectacular as well. So, we got to witness the changing of the seasons from "green" to "brown" as they call it in Costa Rica, from rainy to dry. What a gift.
My other big news is that I really got relief from my injections. I hiked the rainforest, walked the beach each day, and I think my biggest adventure, by far, was I did the "zip line" canopy tour with 11 other members of my family and friends. We did 9 different cables, gliding high above the forest floor, and at the end, they took us to a waterfall cliff where we could take off our gear, and jump off this cliff into the water below. I can't believe I did it! I have a total fear of heights, but I did all the zip lines, and jumped off the cliff to boot, with all my sons cheering me on, and of course, telling me to be careful. A once in a lifetime experience. I'm still getting relief in my hip from the injection, so I am quite pleased. Day by day I go. I got the most exercise I have had in a long time on this trip, and it was spectacular. I'm going to ride this wave while I can. Thank-you all for all your support. It's been 6 1/2 months since my 3 level lumbar ADR, and I think I see alot of light at the end of this tunnel. I guess my motto right now, is.....never, ever, give up!
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Hi Cindy,

CONGRATS on your son's wedding! I know exactly how you feel as I had my son(s) wedding last yr (Yes both sons). After 6 mths post-op middle son with 520 people at the reception and 4 month later oldest son with 350 people!! Pumped with Neurontin then at max, had no problems... survived nicely.

Cherish this excitement for life. You deserve it.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Thank-you Rosie for the kind words. Interestingly, my middle son got married first too, last fall, before my oldest! My youngest son is only a sophmore at The University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, so hopefully, marriage is not on his agenda for many years to come!
I feel truly blessed. Your weddings were quite a bit bigger than ours tho. After this destination wedding in Costa Rica, with just family and a few of the kids friends, we are going to throw a big party at the house in January for all those who could not fly to Costa Rica for the happy event. A nice celebration in late January, after all the hub-bub of the holidays are behind, when hopefully no one will have anything on their calendar.
Thank-you again!
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Hi Cindy,

Funny, my youngest just graduated and no "wedding plans" for many yrs to come! We "actually" had warned him...

My oldest worked in Minnesota for 4 yrs and just recently moved to Columbus/Ohio.

So you have 3 sons too!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 AM

CindyLou:

Congratulations! Nice to hear you getting on the other side. You deserve peace. Your son is attending a nice college. I used to pass it by daily on the way to St. Josephs Hospital where my wife and I worked. Lovely area. I am heading home for the holidays in December. I get my every other year Lexus while there and see the family for the holidays.

I am a week away from my one year anniversary from my surgery. I am getting a nerve ablation after the first of the year. I am doing fine other than continued lumbar facet pain. This pain is nothing like before the surgery and is tolerable for the most part. I did pedal well over 2,000 miles. Quite the riding year this season.

I hope you continue to keep getting better and better. You should be back on your bike by the Spring and doing the Ironman that they hold in April. I did that century ride many times. What a classic.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 AM

Terry, are you having the nerve ablation on your facets? I am going to have it done on my neck soon, and I usually get many months of relief. For some reason, my neck is acting up again. Probably zipping thru the rainforest didn't help, but I wouldn't trade that day for anything.
If time allows, we should try to get together over the holidays while you are in the area. Pick a fun spot to meet with our spouses over a meal. I feel like I already know you somewhat, so it would be nice to put the face with the name.
Why are you waiting till after the New Year for your procedure?
Can't wait to get back on that bike, that's for sure!
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM

CindyLou:

We just tried the injections again last Thursday. I've been getting a couple of months of pain relief from each time I've had it done. She thinks, as do I, that it is getting expensive and causing risk to keep getting injections. Hence a couple of months or so when these last ones wear off I'm going to fry the offending little nerves and hope it lasts longer. I got 4 injections last Thursday. They OUCH!

Would love to meet you also. Write my personal e-mail: tnewt@freeway.net and we can make some arrangements. We leave Michigan on the 13th and head back on Christmas day. Betsy owns a gift shop and has to get back for her post holiday sales which are crazy.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 10-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Amazing story CindyLou! Let us know when your blog is up -- I am dying to see the photos of you going full-bore on the zip line! Yippeeee!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 AM

You are AWESOME!!! What a great adventure! Deb
the usual... myelograms,MRI's,CT scans,xrays,EMG
epidural blocks
facet injections
"serious degeneration" L1-L2
Discogram - L1 - S1 -discogenic with L3/4,L4/5