ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:40 PM
imported_pablocruise

Does anyone know when do you think I can go back to full duty? I work for a local city breaking out concrete and asphalt. Pouring concrete laying asphalt down, installation and removal of sign poles and signs, setting up traffic control for special events, jackhammering, sledge hammering concrete and asphalt, traffic painting,etc. You get the idea, it's pretty physical. I see my surgeon 4-13-05. I haven't started my PT yet. I'm starting to get bored with modified duty.
I was blowing up some balloons for my nephews on Easter day and my incision hurt pretty good.
I just was wondering if anyone with ADR has a physically demanding job also, and how long it took you to go back to full duty. Thanks alot!!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Dr. Bertagnoli advised to avoid competitive sports and high impact / labor intensive activities until 6 months post-op at the earliest. I know we all must work to pay the bills, but I would caution on the side of taking too much time off as opposed to too little.

Remember you only get one spine in this life.

Pablo, I am close to a year and a half post-op and I am positive I wouldn't want to be jackhammering anything right now or in the foreseeable future.

Maybe others can elaborate that have had physically demanding jobs post-op.

I wish you the best,

Justin
Old 03-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Pablo, since you already pre-qualified as a balloon-blower-upper, how about switching careers? It's safer, you have better working conditions, and your clients will be in awe with your balloon tricks...

Man, take it easy -- I can't think of a worse thing for your spine! Although, you may do just fine..but take as much time as you can to heal.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-29-2005, 11:16 PM

balloon-blower-upper? I bet those kids are more dangerous than a jackhammer ;-)

I sit in meetings for a living so I can't advise there. I play pretty hard tho. The closest I can come is work around the house. I got a new brush cutter last weekend and was good for about a half a day clearing trees and bushes. I wanted to fall a bunch of trees but don't feel like I can heft the chain saw thru the woods for very long. If you are conditioned to that kind of labor you will probably get back to it much faster than the most of us.

Scott
Old 04-03-2005, 07:18 AM

Pablo,

I'll repeat w/Dr. Regan said to me: that after surgery, he wouldn't want me to lift more than 30 lbs. - ever - in spine-loading wt. lifting but rather do many sets for endurance and tone. He follows this protocal after lifting relatively heavy for years. But maybe this is b/c I'm older and have a lot of DDD.

Take care, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Pablo,

I know that you want to get back to work, but I can't imagine returning to something this physically demanding on the body - not just the lifting, but the jackhammering - Yikes!!!

Is there anyway you could transfer to a different job position for this city you work for? Something a less demanding on you physically?

I have returned to work as a nurse, but there are things that I will and will NOT do (heavy lifting). I just know that I don't want to revisit what life was like for me before ADR... It's just not worth it to me...

I hope that you can find something that isn't as hard on you physically - yet enjoy doing to make a living...

Wishing you all the best!!!
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 PM

I think its a "Change of Job" as you have spine issues which have been dealt with but its a "Weak spot" for the future. Waiting 12 months time is too long I think
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 04-03-2005, 03:43 PM

One would hope that your company would work w/you in finding a less physically demanding job. Or so I hope..

I have yet to see a stand-up comedian talk about ADR, etc.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:02 PM
imported_pablocruise

Yes, I think I can do my job but every is right. I do have back issues now and if something happens with my ADR, I guess the next thing after a failed ADR is Fusion?
I see Dr. Delamarter on 4-13-05 and I'll know for sure what he thinks I can and can't do.
I haven't started my PT yet either...
Old 04-04-2005, 05:08 PM

After ADR, I went back to work at a physically demanding job (law enforcement), along with just about any physical activities I want (horseback riding, lifting weights, cycling, rock climbing, and now sea kayaking) But I sure wouldn't want to run a jackhammer!