ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Amazing that you saw a spine doctor who actually recommended going to Germany.

That gives me hope that there are at least SOME progressive doctors in our healthcare system.
I feel pretty glad I did. I mentioned it to one of the other surgeons afterward, the one who suggested a decompression, and he said he loved doing them in the neck, but doesn't feel comfortable doing them in the lumbar spine due to lack of longitudinal studies.

I took it as he clearly believes in the technology, and will probably be doing them in the lumbar spine in not that long..

Another interesting point about the doctor who suggested ADR — she was speaking to me as a favor of a friend, and wasn't in my network. Thus she had no incentive to guide me to any particular solution for any reason beyond helping me...

- Diagnosed with collapsed L5-S1
- Received epidural injection to no benefit
- Started (and am still doing) PT which provides some relief

- Exploring options to leave a pain free and active life

27 years old - male - NY, New York
Old 03-05-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post
Hi ummin032, as discussed in another thread, our pain/disabilities are similar. Question plz, you said your disc is dessicated & collapsed. By 'collapsed', I'm assuming you mean it is flatted out (thin), is that right? My L34 & L45 are completely black on my MRI, but they still have good height.
Given how much you want your active lifestyle back, & If your disc has thinned out, I'd get an ADR in Europe for sure. Altho surgery has it's risks, non-action can have risks too (facet problems, spondylosis, ..)
Also in my research it appears that ADRs wear very little. Also who knows what advancements will be available in 20 years.I wouldn't worry about longevity, Id be more concerned about subsidence, migration, or misalignment. Hopefully a top surgeon will minimize these risks.
Thanks for the clairty on longevity of the disc + risks to be aware of! I'll certainly keep you all updated on my decision.

Are you considering moving forward with ADR / what stage are you at in your process?

- Diagnosed with collapsed L5-S1
- Received epidural injection to no benefit
- Started (and am still doing) PT which provides some relief

- Exploring options to leave a pain free and active life

27 years old - male - NY, New York
Old 03-05-2020, 10:06 PM

Wink Micro D

Cheryl0331 "I am not a doctor, but sorry, but you disc height is poor. I don't think a micro discectomy would help".

Agreed Cheryl , unfortunately here in the US the drs would do the micro D and maybe a couple of other procedures for good measure $.

I would listen to the doctor that recommended seeing an ADR surgeon. Agreed

I would get at least two options. I am a Dr. Clavel patient, and would highly recommend him as at least one of your submissions. Agreed excellent choice..
Old 03-06-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummin032 View Post
Are you considering moving forward with ADR / what stage are you at in your process?
Im planning on getting ADR in a year or 2. At the moment I'm building a business, so the timing isnt good.
Now having said that, I had a flare up 3 months ago, & I was so fed up with repeated spasms, all I could think about was getting on a plane to Europe. But fortunately it chilled out.
I can think of a few reasons why postponing might be helpful.
- I like the ESP design the most, but I think I heard that there's not a good choice of endplate sizes. Within a few years they might remedy this.
- I've seen several images of misaligned or misplaced implants. I highly suspect we'll see tech advancements that will help ensure that the inplant is positioned correctly.
On the other side, each year my bones are getting weaker, so I can't wait too long.
Where you are with your decision?
Considering ADR in hope of being more active.