ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Banned

Maybe someone, anyone can assist me with some information here regarding Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts~

My husband is in open enrollment right now as insurance carriers change and he will have this carrier.

I'm not sure whether I should be added on to his insurance, and drop my AARP supplement to Medicare which is great for medical coverage tho not great for medicine coverage, and there's no dental or vision w/it.

I wonder whether having a long pre existing condition would matter, whether currently being treated for it would matter (and for quite some time now) and whether had so many consults for ADR spine surgery in the last few years all over my medical charts would matter altho now it probably won't be happening. Mostly this is documented in my WC charts which I'm not sure anyone would have access to so easily as the routine medical information w/Medicare.

I read what Harrison presented re BCBS in a recent post and it sounds like trying to get trial ADR covered might be very difficult tho perhaps Charite since it's already FDA approved is a different story?

Should I call an insurance representative with questions I might have or would that be detrimental ( I'd try to keep them as superficial as I could yet pertinent to my case)? I'd like to know if perhaps if WC isn't going to pay for this surgery if BCBS might..altho that I might not be able to get an answer to...

The carrier is BCBS of Massachusetts...has anyone had any dealings with this BCBS carrier? Good/bad?

thanks..
Old 11-05-2005, 11:35 PM

Mariaa,
If you qualify for Medicare coverage don't you have to use it first, then any other insurance second that covers what Medicare doesn't? I think that's what I was told about Medicare/Private Health Insurance.

Can you get a copy of the polioy that's being offerred to see if there's any clauses about pre existing conditions? I'd try to find out about the insurance questions without bringing this to the direct attention of the Insurance company, in case they would remember that you called. It's just too bad that we even have to worry about stuff like this.

My health insurance policy says that treatment for work injuries are excluded from coverage although I am aware that patients are getting the treatment they need and then the private insurance companies are subrogating to WC to get reimbursed for the charges.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you or not. Sorry I don't have any specific information on BCBS.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy