ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:49 PM

I feel a bit weird asking this but I don't know anyone with the same problem so if I want advice I just have to go ahead and ask for it. Do any of you find that your back pain gets even worse when it's that time of the month and if so do you have any way of dealing with it other than taking yet more painkillers? Generally I just add ibroprofen into the mix but it doesn't do much good and I'm not really happy about adding it.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Well, Gillian, I may not be the best to answer this question based on my surgical history... but I used to alternate between hot and cold packs and gentle yoga poses specifically for that time. Stretching in the shower and moist heating pads seemed to help quite a bit. Also, there are some herbal teas that provided me with some relief. There may be some trigger points/pressure points that may also provide some pain relief. Hope this helps.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Administrator

As a "non-girl," I encourage questions as these. Don't forget you can email and private message folks to keep the discussions out of the limelight. Thx for asking and encouraging dialogue that may be on many other minds...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 PM

I always had "flare ups" around that time. Too consistent over 3 years to doubt that that was what was doing it. Quite a few others I have talked to have said the same thing. Possibly related to the retention of water and swelling. ?? Don't know. Now, I am headed down the other side of the hill on this one - pre-menopausal, and even when it's only every 4-5 months, I can still see a big difference in pain levels. I'm not shy - can you tell? Just think that it's a valid concern and others won't be able to find the answers if you answer through PM's. Haven't really found the miracle answer to help with the increased pain. An increase in my Vit B2 (taken for migraine prevention, but also a natural diuretic) helps a little, but not much. Of course, talk to your doctor before adding diuretics into the picture.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:27 PM

Most definitely. I use ice, Ibuprofen, Malic acid and stretching.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:46 AM

I think that these are legitimate questions and need to be available for those that are a bit "shy" to ask or just can not find the words. - yet they need the info... I hope this helps others following in our footsteps - just as posts like these help the guys with post-op questions regarding "retrograde EJ" with many questions.

Anyways, getting back to the question, I have found that taking ibuprofen or some sort of NSAID then taking something along the lines of Pamprin help. - Even as a post-op ADR recipient - this has been an issue. Hope this helps.

Sy,
Poncho
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:49 AM

By the way - I would also like encourage everyone thinking about taking anything new over the counter to consult with their pharmacist before combining new meds with their current ones to make sure there are no drug interactions.
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Banned

Though I am on the other side of menopause I do remember the extra discomfort at that time. I took 2 ibuprofen every 2 hours, (4 of them is prescription strength) so something was inside me all the time with no downtime.

I also wore my back brace as the pain increased and found that hot was great. But we're all different. You have to figure out your own logistics from all these suggestions. BTW, I still use that 2 every 2 as needed for whatever.

Best to you, Dale
Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 AM

I'm male but I used to date a woman that didn't have back pain as we know it but would have back pain during that time of the month.

During this time there is an increase in something called prostaglandins which basically are one the things that cause inflamation. So if you already have some inflamation going on there and then you ramp up the prostaglandins higher you can see that your back pain is also going to ramp up.

Ibuprofin (and other NSAIDS) blocks the production of prostaglandins.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:20 PM

Lots of suggestions - thank you! Obviously I needn't have felt shy about raising the subject.

Crystal, are the yoga poses you do different to pilates ones? I find I can�t do the abdominal breathing through the pain � hopefully this will improve as the muscles get stronger but I think it�s probably because it�s harder to control the muscles when they�re cramping. One the same note, Laura what stretches do you find helpful?

Also Crystal which herbal teas if you don't mind me asking? I'm a big fan of herbal teas but I've never come across one to help me with this. If it tastes ok I'd definitely give it a go.

I've never found heat pads very helpful but maybe I should try the ice � I�ve always been a bit cringey about ice packs anywhere other than my ankles but if it helps I�ll give it a go.

I saw a reflexologist yesterday and the points were agony which was interesting � but it doesn�t seem to have helped with the pain which has increased in my back and goes down my legs. Just looked up the accupressure points in the book my mum bought me. There are an enormous number of points all round the sacrum but I�m too gutless to use them given that that�s my problem area. If Paul�s right about the extra inflammation (which makes sense) it�s no wonder my back hurts so much more now!

What's Malic Acid Laura? That's not one I've heard of before. I think Pamprin is basically just paracetamol Poncho and so far today I've had 6 paracetamol & 6 ibruprofen so I'm not sure if that's an option (not sure if you can buy it in the UK actually - there are so many drugs marketed for period pains that you end up suspecting they're all a con!). I used to do the 2 ibruprofen every 2 hours back in the days before my back got so much worse but even that didn't really help & now I can't take that many with the other painkillers - hopefully the ADR will work and I'll be able to go back to them one day. Has anyone found mefenamic acid (ponstan) helpful? A couple of my friends with 'normal' pains have mentioned it but I'm not keen on the idea of adding new drugs if they're not going to be effective.

Thanks again for all your posts.