ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Dr Bierstedt

Well after a lot of research I could wait no longer and decided to get it done. Two level ADR with Bierstedt. Just arrived in Hattingen Germany today. I have pre-op tomorrow and go in for surgery on Tue. So far everything is going well. Flew bussiness class which was nice but expensive. Air Berlin flies direct from LAX to Dusseldorf. Driver was waiting for my dad and I once we got off the plane. It was about a 30 min drive to the hotel and it was included in the overall cost. The hotel is nice and has a kitchen. Will keep you posted.
2013 sent med records to Dr Bierstedt. Suggests M6 ADR on L-4 to S-1. Had to medically retire as a detective which was very hard to do. City I work for will only approve fusion or hybrid under work comp for two level.
2013 Aug 27th surgery date with Bierstedt. (Had to pull the trigger) M-6 disks on L4-S1
Old 08-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Default hi gman

Wish you the best on your surgery. I think you'll find that the people there are very nice and helpful. Dr. Bierstedt, Malte and the people at the Hattigen hospital and Medicos are great.
Post your opinion on Dr. Bierstedt after you meet him.
The included breakfast at the Avantgarde hotel is amazing, when we were there and I was in the hospital I always asked my wife to sneak some food my way, she didn't. The hospital has a common area with snacks and a small fridge. They seem to like their water warm so I always kept a bottle in the fridge.
Keep us posted on your journey, free WiFi at the hospital and the avantgarde.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM

Default Germany Surgery

GMan,
I have already had a Laminectomy, and Discectomy, L2-3, and I have been told to get at least a two level.

The MRI, shows the L5-S1 really non-existent, I was also told that I need a replacement or fusion on the L2-L3 level, the surgeon, said I had some small pieces of the disc he had to remove.

It is really a shame that the USA has deteriorated to such a point that we cannot get this done here.

Could you tell me the cost involved, for instance, a one level?

I really need to get this done, and I really want to get this M6, there is no reason to anything else.(additional)

Also, I have some doubts about what the insurance will be like after this ACA goes into effect, bad enough now.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry5; 08-25-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-25-2013, 11:08 PM

Jerry,
I would suggest that you contact Malte and have Dr. Bierstedt give you an assessment including cost.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 PM

Default Hey Jerry

Hey Jerry for me and having two levels it was just under 40 K. That includes the rehab and massage everyday. That does not include your hotel and airfare however.

As far as insurance my work comp attorney said that if something goes wrong directly involved with the ADR I prob will not be covered and would have to return to Germany. I know you are covered I think for at least a short period to return to Germany if the disks do shift once you return home. My attorney did say though my work would have to continue pain management as long as I was not worse as a result of the surgery.

It's a tough decision to make and to be honest I really don't know for sure what my insurance is going to actually do when I get back home. I am going to submit for additional rehab to my work comp insurance when I get back. If you can wait to see if the FDA will allow the M6 disk in the states that might be a better bet. For me though I was just in too much pain and couldn't wait any longer.

Just make sure that if you do end up doing ADR in the states that whoever does it has done a lot of them. I had a hard time finding Dr's that did more than even 20 a year. They seem to do a lot of fusions but not a lot of ADR's. In fact I saw some of the best spine surgeons in LA and they all prefer to do fusions and always tried to steer me in that direction.
2013 sent med records to Dr Bierstedt. Suggests M6 ADR on L-4 to S-1. Had to medically retire as a detective which was very hard to do. City I work for will only approve fusion or hybrid under work comp for two level.
2013 Aug 27th surgery date with Bierstedt. (Had to pull the trigger) M-6 disks on L4-S1
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Hey Gman88, We will be arriving at the Avant Garde this Wednesday and will plan on popping in for a visit at some point providing of course that you feel up for same. We are wishing you every success.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Hey Suprised

Hey Suprised. Sure stop by. I will be in the hospital until Sep 1st. I move to Medicos Rehab on Sep 2 which is attached to the Courtyard Marriott. From talking to other patients I heard the rehab is a no nonsense and an all day affair including also massage therapy for seven days. The rehab facility is utilized by the professional soccer team also.

So far everything is going smooth. I met with the Dr today and all my worries were put to ease. The Dr's office was very upscale and Dr Bierstedt explained the procedure in detail. I no longer have any doubt the surgery will be successful. I definitely had my doubts flying to another country to undergo a major surgery and wondered if I was making the right move. I guess only time will tell at this point.

Now I am at the hospital in Hattingen drinking special fluids to clean the old pipes so I am ready for surgery tomorrow. The room is really nice and they are only single rooms. Food was also surprisingly good as well considering I was in a hospital.

Grant
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Default Adr

Thank you for the info, I too, am being steered toward a Fusion, and I believe this is not in my best interest.

I will contact the Institute later today, now about 12:20 EST, I believe in Germany it is 6 hours ahead.
They have a local, relatively, Kansas, I will call and talk to them, I have flexor xrays and an MRI that is only 5 weeks old.

This is no way to live, pain all the time and losing mobility, take Codone, and have had an epidural.

Hope all goes well.

When you get back from the surgery, take a couple of days, give us an update.

Jerry
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Default TPatti

Sorry Patti I did not see your reply earlier this morning.

For the record, this is DST.

I did fill in the online form, but have not heard from them.

It is good to talk to people that are in the process and who have had this procedure.

I emailed one person that had an M6 in 2009, and good to go, recommends the procedure.

Jerry
Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 PM

Default Spinal Kinetics

For what it is worth, I emailed Spinal Kinetics, and they do not see in the near future, an FDA approval, in the USA.

Most likely, this will be years away, this is absurd.