ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 AM

(1) One eminent spine surgeon told me that I am not a candidate for a two-level fusion. He didn't say it's b/c of my DDD but that's my guess. If correct, does this make sense?

(2) The reason I ask is b/c my MRI and CT scan (with dye) indicate "moderate" facet damage and the thought of an ADR at such levels frankly gives me the creeps - even if my forthcoming facet injections do not cause relief, is there some cause for concern - regardless?

I suspect the answer to (2) is anyone's guess.

Best - Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 AM

Allan, this is a question that also applies to me and I have no answer either. My disc replacement was deemed suitable as although that level (L4/5) was bone on bone it apparently showed no facet degeneration. However my L3/4 did show degeneration and instability hence the fusion there. It wasn't suitable for ADR.
I thought ADR wasn't indicated with DDD and fusion was the ony option so you've confused me now.
I'm still having pain at both levels and had facet injections a few months back. While effective, they only lasted 8 weeks.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 06-07-2007, 04:13 AM

ADR is indicated for DDD, in fact it was at least in part intended for DDD with no other damage to the vertebral structures. As for why Allan's doc doesn't want to use fusion, which was the gold standard, I can only guess. Is he making judgements based on Allan's age and deciding that the likelihood of adjacent level problems is far too high to justify fusion at his two worst levels? If so, he might be willing to pursue fusion if you would later puruse ADR at other levels, but there aren't many that are willing to use a mix of fusion and ADR.

Allan, if your facet injections show your facets are a pain generator in themselves, your odds are poor for ADR at that/those levels. Some here did have their facet pain diminish with ADR but most seem to have either held steady or gotten worse if they were compromised to start.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM

Thanks for your responses and insights. I agree with you Annapurna that this is probably why a several level fusion is out but I'll certainly look into it. W/get a fresh opinion re: facets as this confuses me, even if there's no response on the facet injections. Best - Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.